Posted to dev@hama.apache.org by 周 <zh...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/16 03:41:11 UTC

Questions from Hama Developer

 Dear Hama Team,
        I am eager to use Hama to compute the inversion of a large dense
matrix. However, hama programming is not so easy for it is hard to acquire
detailed usage of BSP. Although some example java code is provided,
explanation of the API classes and objects is vague. For instance, I noticed
that all classes has overwritten the function setConf(), but what should we
do in the implementation of this function?

        So, I wondered are there any developing documents or detailed
instructions of developing BSP programs to help me?

Yours sincerely,
Chong Zhou

Re: Questions from Hama Developer

Posted by Thomas Jungblut <th...@googlemail.com>.
Hey,

that is great :D
setConf() get's called before BSP. So it is a kind of setup() method that
let you initialize something before computation.
BSP is inherited from Configurable and we don't provide an implementation
down the inheritance tree, so you have to override this.

Good luck!

--
Thomas Jungblut
Berlin

mobile: 0170-3081070

business: thomas.jungblut@testberichte.de
private: thomas.jungblut@gmail.com

Re: Questions from Hama Developer

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
Could you please attach your error logs?

The error log files are located in "{$HAMA_HOME}/logs" folder.

--
Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon
@eddieyoon

Re: Questions from Hama Developer

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
> By the way, are there any APIs of HAMA BSP for parallel matrix operation, especially matrix multiplication?

No, you have to implement your own mat-mat mult program using BSP.

This paper will be helpful for you:

Basic Techniques for Numerical Linear Algebra on Bulk Synchronous
Parallel, http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.39.8624&rep=rep1&type=ps

--
Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon
@eddieyoon