Posted to user@beehive.apache.org by Carl McConnell <ca...@instantiations.com> on 2004/10/08 21:42:46 UTC

Removing Beehive dependency on APT?

Hi all,

I'd like to raise an issue we've run into on the Eclipse Pollinate project;
namely, the dependence of Beehive on Sun's APT tool for generating the
necessary web artifacts. Having APT in the picture has posed some
difficulties for Pollinate. Since Sun's license precludes tools.jar from
being included in the Pollinate distribution, Pollinate can't be used out
of the box without some configuration (pointing it to tools.jar) that's
unusual for an Eclipse feature like this. Also, due to the way that APT
uses class loaders, Eclipse itself has to be invoked in an unusual way so
that tools.jar is included in its class path. I consider the latter an APT
bug that I'll take up with the APT developers, but my point is that APT is
an uncomfortable fit with the Eclipse world.

It would be nice if Beehive could avoid using APT, perhaps by basing its
processing on JDT (the Java development technology in Eclipse) a la Tomcat
1.5. Perhaps an APT-workalike could be written based on JDT as yet another
open-source project. Or perhaps Beehive could use JDT directly to do its
processing, since in my limited understanding Beehive essentially uses APT
to parse Java files, examine the annotations on Java elements in those
files, and generate other files based on those annotations. I think JDT
could be used for this purpose, although I should point out that the JDK
1.5 support in JDT is still under development.

I understand that moving away from APT would be a lot of work, and is
unlikely to become a high priority for Beehive. I just wanted to get the
issue on the table. Thanks.

	Carl McConnell
	Eclipse Pollinate Project