Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Screaming Eagle <te...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/11 05:00:09 UTC

Internal email marked as spam...

All,
Emailing with outlook and from internal network is marked as spam:
pts rule name              description
---- ----------------------
-1.8 ALL_TRUSTED            Passed through trusted hosts only via SMTP
 1.1 MIME_HTML_MOSTLY       BODY: Multipart message mostly text/html MIME
 0.1 HTML_90_100            BODY: Message is 90% to 100% HTML
 3.0 BAYES_00               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 0 to 1%
                            [score: 0.0002]
 2.8 RATWARE_OUTLOOK_NONAME Bulk email fingerprint (Outlook no name)
                            found
 1.9 RATWARE_MS_HASH        Bulk email fingerprint (msgid ms hash) found
 1.7 MSGID_DOLLARS          Message-Id has pattern used in spam
-0.8 AWL                    AWL: From: address is in the auto white-list

I think the RATWARE_OUTLOOK_NOMAME, RATWARE_MS_HASH,and MSGID_DOLLARS is
skewing the score.  I have only seen this score if you use MS OUTLOOK. Any
idea why and if there is work around for this?  Thanks.

Re: Internal email marked as spam...

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.
Philip Prindeville wrote:
> Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:
>

>> Screaming Eagle wrote:
>>

>>> All,
>>> Emailing with outlook and from internal network is marked as spam:
>>> pts rule name              description
>>> ---- ----------------------
>>> -1.8 ALL_TRUSTED            Passed through trusted hosts only via SMTP
>>> 1.1 MIME_HTML_MOSTLY       BODY: Multipart message mostly text/html MIME
>>> 1.0 HTML_MESSAGE           BODY: HTML included in message
>>> 0.1 HTML_90_100            BODY: Message is 90% to 100% HTML
>>> 3.0 BAYES_00               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 0 to 1%
>>>                            [score: 0.0002]
>>> 2.8 RATWARE_OUTLOOK_NONAME Bulk email fingerprint (Outlook no name)
>>>                            found
>>> 1.9 RATWARE_MS_HASH        Bulk email fingerprint (msgid ms hash) found
>>> 1.7 MSGID_DOLLARS          Message-Id has pattern used in spam
>>> -0.8 AWL                    AWL: From: address is in the auto white-list
>>>
>>> I think the RATWARE_OUTLOOK_NOMAME, RATWARE_MS_HASH,and MSGID_DOLLARS
>>> is  skewing the score.  I have only seen this score if you use MS
>>> OUTLOOK. Any idea why and if there is work around for this?  Thanks.
>>>

>>>  3.0 BAYES_00               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 0 to 1%
>>>                             [score: 0.0002]
>>>
>> Whoever set the score for BAYES_00 to 3.0 must have been high!
>>
>> Daryl
>>

> That's true, but you'd still be over 5.0 even without it.

No, it would not be over 5.0 if BAYES_00 hadn't been screwed with.
Because the default for BAYES_00 is a negative number, not 0.

This message adds to 8.9. Based on the scores of the other rules, this
is 3.1.x with set3.

In that set, BAYES_00 should score -2.599 instead of +3.0. That would
make the message score somewhere around 3.3 (I'm not adding all the
rules out to the thousandth, so I could be off by 0.1)

HTML_MESSAGE also should be 0.1, not 1.0.

The real score: 2.3.

While I do admit that the rules screaming eagle points out are a
problem, the shifting the scores of BAYES_00 and HTML_MESSAGE by a total
of +6.599 from its default is a bigger problem. (the 3 cited rules total
6.403 points, which is a smaller impact than the score fiddling has caused.)

Re: Internal email marked as spam...

Posted by mouss <us...@free.fr>.
jdow wrote:

>> That's true, but you'd still be over 5.0 even without it.
>
> Why did you modify it? Bayes zero should typically have a fairly hefty
> negative score.

It seems that the art of "error and ignore" has replaced the art of
trial and error.

<humor>
Given the OP From display, we can only say: scream, eagle. scream.
</humour>

Re: Internal email marked as spam...

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Philip Prindeville" <ph...@redfish-solutions.com>

> Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:
>
>>Screaming Eagle wrote:
>>

>>>All,
>>>Emailing with outlook and from internal network is marked as spam:
>>>pts rule name              description
>>>---- ----------------------
>>>--------------------------------------------------
>>>-1.8 ALL_TRUSTED            Passed through trusted hosts only via SMTP
>>> 1.1 MIME_HTML_MOSTLY       BODY: Multipart message mostly text/html MIME
>>> 1.0 HTML_MESSAGE           BODY: HTML included in message
>>> 0.1 HTML_90_100            BODY: Message is 90% to 100% HTML
>>> 3.0 BAYES_00               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 0 to 1%
>>>                            [score: 0.0002]
>>> 2.8 RATWARE_OUTLOOK_NONAME Bulk email fingerprint (Outlook no name)
>>>                            found
>>> 1.9 RATWARE_MS_HASH        Bulk email fingerprint (msgid ms hash) found
>>> 1.7 MSGID_DOLLARS          Message-Id has pattern used in spam
>>>-0.8 AWL                    AWL: From: address is in the auto white-list
>>>
>>>I think the RATWARE_OUTLOOK_NOMAME, RATWARE_MS_HASH,and MSGID_DOLLARS
>>>is  skewing the score.  I have only seen this score if you use MS
>>>OUTLOOK. Any idea why and if there is work around for this?  Thanks.
>>>

>> >  3.0 BAYES_00               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 0 to 1%
>> >                             [score: 0.0002]
>>
>>Whoever set the score for BAYES_00 to 3.0 must have been high!
>>
>>Daryl
>>

> That's true, but you'd still be over 5.0 even without it.

Why did you modify it? Bayes zero should typically have a fairly hefty
negative score.

{^_^}

Re: Internal email marked as spam...

Posted by Philip Prindeville <ph...@redfish-solutions.com>.
Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:

>Screaming Eagle wrote:
>

>>All,
>>Emailing with outlook and from internal network is marked as spam:
>>pts rule name              description
>>---- ----------------------
>>-1.8 ALL_TRUSTED            Passed through trusted hosts only via SMTP
>> 1.1 MIME_HTML_MOSTLY       BODY: Multipart message mostly text/html MIME
>> 1.0 HTML_MESSAGE           BODY: HTML included in message
>> 0.1 HTML_90_100            BODY: Message is 90% to 100% HTML
>> 3.0 BAYES_00               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 0 to 1%
>>                            [score: 0.0002]
>> 2.8 RATWARE_OUTLOOK_NONAME Bulk email fingerprint (Outlook no name)
>>                            found
>> 1.9 RATWARE_MS_HASH        Bulk email fingerprint (msgid ms hash) found
>> 1.7 MSGID_DOLLARS          Message-Id has pattern used in spam
>>-0.8 AWL                    AWL: From: address is in the auto white-list
>>
>>I think the RATWARE_OUTLOOK_NOMAME, RATWARE_MS_HASH,and MSGID_DOLLARS
>>is  skewing the score.  I have only seen this score if you use MS
>>OUTLOOK. Any idea why and if there is work around for this?  Thanks.
>>

> >  3.0 BAYES_00               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 0 to 1%
> >                             [score: 0.0002]
>
>Whoever set the score for BAYES_00 to 3.0 must have been high!
>
>Daryl

That's true, but you'd still be over 5.0 even without it.

-Philip

Re: Internal email marked as spam...

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.