Posted to users@felix.apache.org by "Juhos, Pavol" <pj...@hp.com> on 2009/02/05 17:30:00 UTC

Deploying Felix source jars to Maven central repository

Hello Felix team,

It would be very helpful if you could also deploy JAR files containing the source code to the Maven repositories. It really helps to have the source code around when developing in IDEs like Eclipse. To give you a better picture, M2eclipse (= Eclipse Maven Integration) allows you to download sources for any of your Maven dependencies in one click if they are properly deployed in the repository. Generally I think deploying source jars is becoming a good practice for open-source projects using Maven. Thank you.

Best regards,

Pavol Juhos
Enterprise Software
Consultant, System Integration
Hewlett-Packard Company

pjuhos@hp.com
www.hp.com/go/exstream

RE: Deploying Felix source jars to Maven central repository

Posted by "Juhos, Pavol" <pj...@hp.com>.
Hello Carsten,

Would you please consider adding the javadoc jars as well? I don't see it as a problem that your JavaDoc is not complete yet. I think there are some very interesting pieces like, Felix framework configuration properties accepted by the constructor. Thank you.

Regards,

Pavol Juhos
Hewlett-Packard Company
pjuhos@hp.com

> Could you quickly release the root pom? That would be great :-)

Sure, I'll start the vote asap today.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: Deploying Felix source jars to Maven central repository

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
Could you quickly release the root pom? That would be great :-)

regards,

Karl

--
Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com

Re: Deploying Felix source jars to Maven central repository

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 11:52 AM, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 11:45 PM, Richard S. Hall <he...@ungoverned.org> wrote:
>
>> Well, I certainly don't mind releasing our sources, I won't claim our
>> JavaDoc are very interesting. :-) I guess we just need to do it.
>
> Just to set the mindset accurately, in case it is missed somewhere...
>
> From the ASF's point of view, we ONLY releases sources. It is written
> in the by-laws that we produce and make available open SOURCE software
> for the public good.

Sure. We always release the source. The issue is that maven doesn't
produce source artifacts that maven can identify as such in our
set-up. This needs to be fixed.

regards,

Karl

> All other artifacts, such as binaries, packages, installers, javadocs,
> are purely a convenience to some downstream users, but it is not
> mandatory at all.
> Also, I have not checked how hard it is to build a Maven project from
> the released -sources.jar file, but that should also be checked to be
> reasonably "easy", or we are missing a point.
>
> Nuff said...
> Niclas

Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com

Re: Deploying Felix source jars to Maven central repository

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>> Stuart McCulloch wrote:

>>> the subversion logs show this has always been there since
>>> Carsten added the release profile to the main Felix pom:
>>>
>>>    svn diff -r604235:r604236 pom/pom.xml
>>>
>>> perhaps it was disabled because we define our own release
>>> profile? Carsten may have wanted to avoid potential conflicts
>>> between our profile and the default Maven profile - if that's the
>>> case then we could always just add the source and javadoc
>>> plugin entries to our release profile...
>>>
>>> I certainly have no idea.
>>>
>>> hopefully Carsten can explain the reasoning behind it :)
>>>
>> :)
>>
>> Oh my, me and my weak memory...sigh..ok, seriously :) I think the reason
>> was to not release the source and javadocs. This was the way how we did
>> our releases before we fully used maven so I just copied this behaviour
>> and disabled this.
>> So if we want to release source and javadocs, we should just add it our
>> release profile.
>>

> One addition: if we plan to publish these artifacts as well, I think we
> have to add proper NOTICE and LICENSE files.

Well, I certainly don't mind releasing our sources, I won't claim our
JavaDoc are very interesting. :-) I guess we just need to do it.

I thought our source releases already had NOTICE and LICENSE files, no?

-> richard

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

>> If you are not sure what the default profile is doing here is the relevant
>> excerpt from the Maven super-pom (implicit root of all POMs):
>>
>>    <profile>
>>      <id>release-profile</id>
>>
>>      <activation>
>>        <property>
>>          <name>performRelease</name>
>>          <value>true</value>
>>        </property>
>>      </activation>
>>
>>      <build>
>>        <plugins>
>>          <plugin>
>>            <inherited>true</inherited>
>>            <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>>            <artifactId>maven-source-plugin</artifactId>
>>            <executions>
>>              <execution>
>>                <id>attach-sources</id>
>>                <goals>
>>                  <goal>jar</goal>
>>                </goals>
>>              </execution>
>>            </executions>
>>          </plugin>
>>          <plugin>
>>            <inherited>true</inherited>
>>            <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>>            <artifactId>maven-javadoc-plugin</artifactId>
>>            <executions>
>>              <execution>
>>                <id>attach-javadocs</id>
>>                <goals>
>>                  <goal>jar</goal>
>>                </goals>
>>              </execution>
>>            </executions>
>>          </plugin>
>>          <plugin>
>>            <inherited>true</inherited>
>>            <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>>            <artifactId>maven-deploy-plugin</artifactId>
>>            <configuration>
>>              <updateReleaseInfo>true</updateReleaseInfo>
>>            </configuration>
>>          </plugin>
>>        </plugins>
>>      </build>
>>    </profile>
>> See
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/components/tags/maven-2.0.9/maven-project/src/main/resources/org/apache/maven/project/pom-4.0.0.xmlfor reference.
>>
>> Another potential solution might be to use the default release profile
>> only for selected modules. I.e. "override" the maven-release-plugin
>> configuration by including the following piece into the modules' POMs:
>>
>>  <plugin>
>>    <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>>    <artifactId>maven-release-plugin</artifactId>
>>    <configuration>
>>      <useReleaseProfile>true</useReleaseProfile>
>>    </configuration>
>>  </plugin>
>>
>> What are your thoughts on this?
>> Kind regards,
>>

>> Pavol Juhos
>> Hewlett-Packard Company
>> pjuhos@hp.com
>>
>> P.S.: If this level of technical detail is not appropriate for this
>> mailing list please let me know and we can take this discussion "offline" or

Cheers, Stuart

Re: Deploying Felix source jars to Maven central repository

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
I will continue the discussion on the dev list...

-> richard

Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com

Re: Deploying Felix source jars to Maven central repository

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
I do upload what is produced by maven. If we are missing some
configuration that would make that better please do provide a patch!

regards,

Karl

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 10:30 PM, Juhos, Pavol <pj...@hp.com> wrote:
> Hello Richard,
>
> Yes you are right, the Maven release lifecycle produces the source-jars by default. It is just a matter of uploading these source-jar artifacts to the repository. Also no less important than source-jars are the javadoc jars (also produced by maven-release-plugin by default) -- especially in the current situation when Felix JavaDoc documentation is not available online (at least not to my knowledge).
>
> In case you would need any help with the Maven configuration just let me know. I would be happy to assist.
>
> Best regards,
>

> Pavol Juhos
> Hewlett-Packard Company
> pjuhos@hp.com

Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com

RE: Deploying Felix source jars to Maven central repository

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.