Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> on 2006/10/05 23:28:42 UTC

Planning graduation...

I just updated our incubator status page, and we are looking really
good:

http://incubator.apache.org/projects/cayenne.html

Here is a short summary of our incubation progress:

* we came in to the incubator this March as an open source project
with strong existing meritocracy procedures and extensive code base
* we migrated 100% of the infrastructure to Apache
* we collected all CLA's (and rewrote those few pieces of code where
we couldn't find the authors)
* and finally we made a 2.0.1 release that sailed smoothly through
the approval process

Looks like Apache Cayenne is ripe for graduation. I think the
original intent to graduate as an Apache Top Level Project (TLP) is
still the best thing to do.

Thoughts on how do we proceed with graduation?

Andrus

Re: Planning graduation...

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
On Oct 5, 2006, at 7:53 PM, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:

> * Andrus, would you care to give a short progress summary on 3.0?
> How close is JPA to completion? It seems a lot has been done, but I
> don't know others have a sense of what is left.
>
> * What is the goal for 3.0? Is it done when JPA is finished? Are
> there specific functionality goals or a time deadline goal? It
> seems that many new Jira tasks are landing in 3.0 at the moment, is
> it the aim that they will all be done?

JPA implementation is slowed down due to the fact that a number of
people who volunteered have other commitments and don't spend any
time on it. Sad, but this is a reality of open source. But we are
getting there... I am certainly committed to finishing it.

Making 3.0 a JPA-compliant release is certainly a goal. But I am
realistic - formal JPA compliance (meaning passing Sun TCK) can be an
insanely complex task. Right now JPA provider depends on Cayenne
core, while Cayenne core does not depend on JPA provider, so we have
a flexibility to release the core independently from JPA, and we'll
do just that if we get stuck with certification.

Regarding the core - till now we let the organic growth of features
to occur, instead of setting the raodmap in stone. Which is great IMO
(otherwise we won't get the caching features for instance - it
evolved out of a customer project). If we are to define the target
more specifically, here is my vision:

* advanced caching (already there)
* all kinds of inheritance that we need for JPA
* switch Modeler to plugin engine
* other things we need for JPA (callbacks, DataContext refactoring,
etc.)

> * Does 3.0 need to be done before Cayenne becomes a full Apache
> project?

I'd say after not before. In general 3.0 is not tied to the
graduation process, other than that we probably won't publish 3.0
milestones until after we graduate, just to avoid double-voting
overhead and "incubating" label on the release.

Andrus

Re: Planning graduation...

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@ish.com.au>.
On 06/10/2006, at 7:28 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> Looks like Apache Cayenne is ripe for graduation. I think the
> original intent to graduate as an Apache Top Level Project (TLP) is
> still the best thing to do.

Certainly congratulations are in order for everyone involved to get
this first release approved, but particularly Andrus for his amazing
work.

I have a couple of related questions:

* Andrus, would you care to give a short progress summary on 3.0? How
close is JPA to completion? It seems a lot has been done, but I don't
know others have a sense of what is left.

* What is the goal for 3.0? Is it done when JPA is finished? Are
there specific functionality goals or a time deadline goal? It seems
that many new Jira tasks are landing in 3.0 at the moment, is it the
aim that they will all be done?

* Does 3.0 need to be done before Cayenne becomes a full Apache
project? Are there functionality goals for that process or is it
purely a paperwork and methodology list of checkboxes?

Cheers
Ari Maniatis

-------------------------->
ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001   fax +61 2 9550 4001

Re: Planning graduation...

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Bill Dudney wrote:
> I think we are ripe, we've not heard anything from Jean so I think we
> should move the discussion to the ppmc.

It looks like all the work items are done at
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/cayenne.html .

So I agree.

> Once we get agreement there we can bring it back here and vote and  then
> go to the incubator.

Since the DB PMC is sponsoring Cayenne, I suggest first checking in with
them.

To be honest, I'm not sure of the procedure at this point. No doubt
there are precedents in general@incubator.apache.org that could be dug up.

 -jean

Re: Planning graduation...

Posted by Bill Dudney <bd...@apache.org>.