Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com> on 2017/09/26 13:05:31 UTC

[mentors] License headers for test data?

Hello,

Do we really need license headers for test data?

I see all these small xml/text/properties files used to test code and they
have nothing of any significance, they are just there to test some
situation.

The way I see http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#faq-exceptions

A file without any degree of creativity in either its literal elements or
> its structure is not protected by copyright law; therefore, such a file
> does not require a license header.

Also, could we at least use the short form
http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#is-a-short-form-of-the-source-header-available
for some of the test data?

Sometimes the situation of a file is such that the recommended Apache
> source header is not appropriate. Examples would be within images, minified
> JavaScript or PDFs. In those cases, the following shorter form may be used.

> "Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more
> contributor license agreements; and to You under the Apache License,
> Version 2.0. "

--emi

Re: [mentors] License headers for test data?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 5:31 PM, Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com> wrote:
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/blob/master/o.n.bootstrap/test/unit/data/jars/base-layer-mod/baselayer/layer.xml

I agree that that file has no creative content and as such could do
without an ASF license header.

BUT I also think the more exceptions the more complicated the
management is. What's wrong with having an Apache license header in
that file? I suppose good IDEs can collapse that anyway ;-)

My suggestion would be to have as few exceptions as possible.

-Bertrand

Re: [mentors] License headers for test data?

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
Take a look here:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/tree/master/o.n.bootstrap/test/unit/data/jars

Eg.
https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/blob/master/o.n.bootstrap/test/unit/data/jars/base-layer-mod/baselayer/layer.xml
https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/blob/master/o.n.bootstrap/test/unit/data/jars/base-layer-mod/baselayer/layer_foo.xml

https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/blob/master/o.n.bootstrap/test/unit/data/jars/override-layer-mod/overridelayer/layer.xml

Something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE filesystem PUBLIC "-//NetBeans//DTD Filesystem 1.1//EN" "
http://www.netbeans.org/dtds/filesystem-1_1.dtd">
<filesystem>
    <folder name="foo">
        <file name="file3.txt">customized contents</file>
        <file name="file4.txt_hidden"/>
        <file name="file5.txt">
            <attr name="myattr" stringvalue="someotherval"/>
        </file>
    </folder>
</filesystem>

--emi