Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Lukas Zapletal <lz...@root.cz> on 2003/01/13 10:05:53 UTC

Multiple fields

Hello all!

Q1:
Is there any easy way to search more than one field?
I mean I have 'content', 'headlines' and 'title' fields.
I need to search titles with best score, headlines with better score and
content with normal score.
I want to avoid these HitCollectors... If there is no easy way can you
write me
how this can be done with HitCollectors? My code:

 query = QueryParser.parse(str, "content", analyzer);
 Hits hits = searcher.search(query);

Q2:
What score numbers to use with these fields?
I mean 1.0001 for title or something else?

--
Lukas Zapletal
http://www.tanecni-olomouc.cz/lzap

Re: Alphabetical order

Posted by Peter Carlson <ca...@bookandhammer.com>.
There is a class called SearchBean in the contributions area which
provides for a generic sorting of results.

It is currently setup for sorting by any String field.

I hope that helps.

--Peter

Alphabetical order

Is the searched string 'on' a special case ?

Posted by Alain Lauzon <al...@libertefinanciere.com>.
I have an index wtih many fields, and specially, one for company name and
one for state.

When I search for :
+company:"inc"~100

I get 114 results from 2 states, HI (Hawaii) and ON (Ontario).

If I search for :
+state:hi +company:"inc"~100

I get 7 results for Hawaii.

But when I search for:
+state:on +company:"inc"~100

I get no results at all for Ontario.

So what is going on ? I tried with many other states and all are working,
but not 'on'.
Is 'on' a special case ? Like on/off ?

Re: Multiple fields

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
A1. MultiFieldQueryParser if you want to use a parser, or BooleanQuery

A2. Keep in mind that shorter fields already get a scoring boost.  Is
this for setting boost on fields?  Any number should do, no?

Otis