Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2002/04/08 12:40:15 UTC

Re: I get a pop up window everytime a cgi script is launched (2.0.35 windows 2000)

On Sun, 7 Apr 2002, Frederic Mancuso wrote:

> I just upgraded to apache 2.0.35 on windows 2000 and I get a pop up window
> everytime a cgi script is launched. My scripts have the usual
> #!C:\perl\bin\perl.exe header. The popup windows are titled
> "C:\perl\bin\perl.exe" and stay open during the whole execution of the
> script. This happens only when apache is running from the command prompt not
> when it is running as a service. Am I missing something?

When Apache is running as a console app (from the command prompt) and
you run a CGI program, Windows launches a new console in which to run
the Perl program. What's really fun is to run Win32::OLE apps that
launch larger applications, like, say, Excel. (Yes, I've done it. No, I
don't recommend it.) When you're running as a service, everything runs
"in the background" and so this does not happen.

Yeah, this is strange, but it is perfectly expected behavior.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
... and another brother out of his mind, and another brother out at New