Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jennifer <la...@lindaspaces.com> on 2006/04/14 18:14:44 UTC

[users@httpd] Installing Apache 2.2.0 on AMD Opteron running SuSE 10

Hi,
   Compiling Apache 2.2.0 on an AMD Opteron running SuSE 10 failed with the
following error message:

/usr/lib/libexpat.so: could not read symbols: File in wrong format
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [libaprutil-1.la] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/lai/httpd-2.2.0/srclib/apr-util'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/lai/httpd-2.2.0/srclib/apr-util'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/lai/httpd-2.2.0/srclib'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

It looks like it's picking up the wrong library. It should pick
up /usr/lib64/libexpat.so instead of /usr/lib.

Is there a file that I can change so that configure script pick up the right
lib directory?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

P.S.  Just for an experiment, I compiled Apache 2.0.55 on the same machine
with same OS, and I was able to compile and install Apache 2.0.55
successfully without any problem.
I would like to keep up-to-date on Apache server, but if staying with older
version fixes the problem, maybe that's the way to go for now.

Regards,
Jennifer

Re: [users@httpd] Installing Apache 2.2.0 on AMD Opteron running SuSE 10

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Alexey Polyakov wrote:
> On 4/15/06, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>
>>Three letters...
>>
>>DAV
>>
>>If you inspect a webdav request, you will see that the actual payload moves
>>from the traditional 'http headers' into a metadata xml stream.
>
> Hm, I thought that Apache doesn't support DAV capabilities, it's an
> external module, am I wrong here?

Yes, you are wrong (since 2.0.0).  mod_dav, mod_dav_fs are bundled in the
distribution, only httpd 1.3 still has no bundled mod_dav, and that can be
obtained from webdav.org (and is why the webdav folk asked the httpd folk
to bundle expat in apache 1.3).

Re: [users@httpd] Installing Apache 2.2.0 on AMD Opteron running SuSE 10

Posted by Alexey Polyakov <al...@gmail.com>.

--
Alexey Polyakov

Re: [users@httpd] Installing Apache 2.2.0 on AMD Opteron running SuSE 10

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Alexey Polyakov wrote:
> Sorry for the offtopic, I was always wondering (even since Apache 1.3)
> - why does it require expat even in minimal installs? I thought expat
> is XML parsing library...

Three letters...

DAV

If you inspect a webdav request, you will see that the actual payload moves
from the traditional 'http headers' into a metadata xml stream.

Also, folks have conteplated offering a second '.conf' parser, one in an XML
format, although that has not come to pass, and wasn't the reason for building
with it, in the first place.

Re: [users@httpd] Installing Apache 2.2.0 on AMD Opteron running SuSE 10

Posted by Alexey Polyakov <al...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for the offtopic, I was always wondering (even since Apache 1.3)
- why does it require expat even in minimal installs? I thought expat
is XML parsing library...

On 4/15/06, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Jennifer wrote:
> >
> > P.S.  Just for an experiment, I compiled Apache 2.0.55 on the same machine
> > with same OS, and I was able to compile and install Apache 2.0.55
> > successfully without any problem.
>
> Just so you are clear, when you built 2.0 - I suspect you built for 32 bits.
> When you tried to build 2.2 full 64 bit support, that's when things cracked.
>
> There are possible fixes, but one of the devs has serious issues with the
> proposed gross hack to close this build problem.  The apr project will continue
> to look for the appropriate fix to ensure 64 bit builds happen without hiccups.

Alexey Polyakov

Re: [users@httpd] Installing Apache 2.2.0 on AMD Opteron running SuSE 10

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Garry Taylor <gi...@gbdesign.net>.
Hi Jen,
You can add a flag to the compile option to say what lid dir you want to
include. See the link below for more

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/programs/configure.html

If that does not work you can edit the /etc/ld.so.conf file and rerun
ldconfig as root.

Giz