Posted to user@spark.apache.org by cjwang <cj...@cjwang.us> on 2014/07/11 01:03:15 UTC

SparkR failed to connect to the master

I have a cluster running.  I was able to run Spark Shell and submit programs.
But when I tried to use SparkR, I got these errors:

wifi-orcus:sparkR cwang$ MASTER=spark://wifi-orcus.dhcp.carrieriq.com:7077
sparkR

R version 3.1.0 (2014-04-10) -- "Spring Dance"
Copyright (C) 2014 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin13.1.0 (64-bit)

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

[Previously saved workspace restored]

[SparkR] Initializing with classpath
/Users/cwang/amplab-extras-SparkR-pkg-e1f95b6/lib/SparkR/sparkr-assembly-0.1.jar

14/07/10 15:54:31 INFO Slf4jLogger: Slf4jLogger started
2014-07-10 15:54:32.391 R[19021:d07] Unable to load realm info from
SCDynamicStore

 Welcome to SparkR!
 Spark context is available as sc
> 14/07/10 15:55:32 ERROR AppClient$ClientActor: All masters are
> unresponsive! Giving up.
14/07/10 15:55:32 ERROR SparkDeploySchedulerBackend: Spark cluster looks
dead, giving up.
14/07/10 15:55:32 ERROR TaskSchedulerImpl: Exiting due to error from cluster
scheduler: Spark cluster looks down
Error: Java called System.exit(1) requesting R to quit - trying to recover

Then it crashed.  The webui of the master does not show any application
connections from SaprkR.  The cluster was not dead.  I was able to launch
Spark Shell and do something after that.

What was wrong here?

Re: SparkR failed to connect to the master

Posted by Shivaram Venkataraman <sh...@eecs.berkeley.edu>.
You'll need to build SparkR to match the Spark version deployed on the
cluster. You can do that by changing the Spark version in SparkR's
build.sbt [1]. If you are using the Maven build you'll need to edit pom.xml

Thanks
Shivaram

[1]
https://github.com/amplab-extras/SparkR-pkg/blob/master/pkg/src/build.sbt#L20

Posted by cjwang <cj...@cjwang.us>.

Posted by cjwang <cj...@cjwang.us>.
I restarted Spark Master with spark-0.9.1 and SparkR was able to communicate
with the Master.  I am using the latest SparkR pkg-e1f95b6.  Maybe it has
problem communicating to Spark 1.0.0?