Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Steffan A. Cline" <st...@hldns.com> on 2007/02/21 15:02:59 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache on Mac OS X 10.3.9 Server

I am running into an issue where a client's server is intermittently
throwing invalid 404 errors. I can't for the life of me figure it out. There
is a web app that pulls up client previews of their ads. Intermittently the
page loads with the image missing. When I view source on the page, the
correct path is there. I copy and paste the url (which I have fully
qualified) into a new tab and it also intermittently show up. Hitting
refresh several times or selecting the url bar and hitting enter will make
the image pop up. It is not isolated to any one browser. It happens to all
of them. For example here is a url:
http://adserver.saguarogold.net/20070220162109.jpg
For example to prove the intermittency, right now I can refresh that url
over and over and it loads fine. If I load it from the web app and it fails,
then copy the url to a new tab and try it also fails. BUT again, hitting
enter in the url bar or refresh several times it works. Originally I had the
images served via an alias to another folder but decided to go the route of
its own virtual host but yet this still happens even when directly served.

Has anyone else seen this intermittency? This has been costing me a lot of
grief for some time now. I am at the point of wiping the drive clean and
reinstalling Mac OS X Server to 10.4 and see if this solves the problem.

Anything to check for or turn on in the config?

Thanks

Steffan

T E L  6 0 2 . 5 7 9 . 4 2 3 0 | F A X  6 0 2 . 9 7 1 . 1 6 9 4
Steffan A. Cline
Steffan@ExecuChoice.net                             Phoenix, Az
http://www.ExecuChoice.net                                  USA
AIM : SteffanC          ICQ : 57234309
                                  Lasso Partner Alliance Member

Re: [users@httpd] Apache on Mac OS X 10.3.9 Server

Posted by "Steffan A. Cline" <st...@hldns.com>.
To summarize the scenario thus far I have heard the following:

1. Check the persistent connections.
2. Server caching - 2 places.
3. image expiry.

As far as #1, the server is set with the default settings that had
previously been fine.
Max simultaneous connections : 500
Max persistent connections : 500
Connection timeout 300 seconds
Minimum spare servers : 1
Maximum spare servers : 5

Onto #2... There is only 1 place that I can find where you can control
Apple's caching server. That is from the domain level. I went thru and made
sure that was unchecked on every domain so it must be off. Where is the
server level that was mentioned?

As for #3, what has image expiry have to do with it? If a file exists and I
can see it in the directory but when calling the URL and get a file not
found error 1 second and then no error the next, how is it expiry? Is it
possible that Apache's virtual host system is crapping out and defaulting to
the default site where the file definitely does not exist?