Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Алишевских Алексей <al...@vismech.ru> on 2001/04/02 09:15:28 UTC

Re: Does FOP support UNICODE?

You may to use the Unicode characters in FO-files, when you created the
character mapping for your Unicode-subset (in src/codegen/charlist.xml).
But you may not to process the hypenation, cause hyphentation pattern
encoding and input FO-file encoding must be a same and must be an 8-bits
encoding :-(
I guess, this is a hyphenation algorythm limitation.

	Best regards.
	Alex V. Alishevskikh,
	Visual Mechanics Lab
	mailto:alex@vismech.ru
	http://www.vismech.ru

Re: SVG to RTF?

Posted by Carlos Villegas <ca...@uniscope.co.jp>.

Alex McLintock wrote:
> Some users would like to put the image into MS Word documents - perhaps using
> windows metafiles... I remember that people were developing an rtf
> renderer for FOP. Maybe they could help with converting SVG to a vector
> format Word can handle. Maybe its already done. Maybe not.
>
> Any tips on whether this is feasible or whether I am barking up the wrong tree?

One way is to convert to PDF (using FOP?) and then use pstoedit to
convert it to WMF. Pstoedit even includes an import filter for MS Word.
Check it out at
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Network/1958/pstoedit

Carlos Villegas

Re: SVG to RTF?

Posted by Christian Geisert <Ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.
Alex McLintock wrote:

[...]

> Some users would like to put the image into MS Word documents - perhaps using
> windows metafiles... I remember that people were developing an rtf
> renderer for FOP. Maybe they could help with converting SVG to a vector
> format Word can handle. Maybe its already done. Maybe not.
>
> Any tips on whether this is feasible or whether I am barking up the wrong tree?

Maybe Batik (xml.apache.org/batik) does it ?
(Had no time to have a look at it yet)

> Alex

Christian

Re: SVG to RTF?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
> I remember that people were developing an rtf renderer for FOP.

We're still on our way with the RTF renderer, I've been hoping to release
some code next week for a few weeks now, but we haven't been able to work on
it as much as we'd like...

We have no plans yet regarding images, but hopefully someone can jump in
once we have the basic conversion done - for our current project we're
concentrating on text in tables.

 -- Bertrand Delacrétaz, www.codeconsult.ch

SVG to RTF?

Posted by Alex McLintock <al...@yahoo.com>.
Hi folks,

We've been using FOP to put a bitmap in a pdf page for printing, but now we are
going to try putting an SVG graphic in the page instead. We have a
prototype/proof of concept working and it is of course higher quality than
the bitmap.

Some users would like to put the image into MS Word documents - perhaps using
windows metafiles... I remember that people were developing an rtf
renderer for FOP. Maybe they could help with converting SVG to a vector
format Word can handle. Maybe its already done. Maybe not.

Any tips on whether this is feasible or whether I am barking up the wrong tree?

Alex

=====
Alex McLintock        alex@OWAL.co.uk

OpenWeb Analysts Ltd, http://www.OWAL.co.uk/
Software for Complex Websites.

Publisher of       http://www.DiverseBooks.com
                   http://www.galactic-guide.com/

Re: Does FOP support UNICODE?

Posted by Tore Engvig <te...@infostream.no>.

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Carlos Villegas wrote:

> The hyphenation algorithm uses unicode characters internally. Pattern
> files are read by an XML parser, so they can use any encoding supported
> by the parser, including UTF-8.
> There is however a problem in the layout class, in which CIDs instead of
> unicode characters are being passed to the hyphenation algorithm. With
> the default WinAnsi encoding things work because it mostly matches
> unicode. However, it doesn't work for other font encodings or when the
> font is embedded. This is a known issue and I think it's being addressed
> by Tore and Alain?

It is :)

Tore

Re: Does FOP support UNICODE?

Posted by Carlos Villegas <ca...@uniscope.co.jp>.

áÌÉÛÅ×ÓËÉÈ áÌÅËÓÅÊ wrote:

> You may to use the Unicode characters in FO-files, when you created the
> character mapping for your Unicode-subset (in src/codegen/charlist.xml).
> But you may not to process the hypenation, cause hyphentation pattern
> encoding and input FO-file encoding must be a same and must be an 8-bits
> encoding :-(

That's not entirely true. But since it's not working for all cases, it
may give you that impression.