Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Andrus Adamchik <aa...@apache.org> on 2008/09/29 10:13:22 UTC

Java 1.5 / 1.6 coexistence issues

We are trying to setup Cayenne ORM project structure to be both
buildable and runnable under Java 1.5 and 1.6. ("buildable" is
important for non-64-bit Intel Mac users. There's no Java 6 for those
older Macs).

The problem is that we are implementing a bunch of java[x].sql
interfaces in Cayenne that have changed between the versions of Java.
So take for instance a class implementing java.sql.ResultSet. To be
able to compile against 1.6 jars, we need methods like this:

   public java.sql.SQLXML getSQLXML(int) {...}

Which does not compile against 1.5 jars. So what I am thinking is
building a small "JDBC4-compatibility" Maven module based on OpenJDK
(or Sun JRE) that contains needed interfaces from java[x].sql
packages. It will be done outside Apache. Then the plan to make it a
Cayenne "provided" dependency. I.e. it won't be shipped with Cayenne.

Any licensing considerations with this approach?

Thanks,
Andrus

Re: Java 1.5 / 1.6 coexistence issues

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <aa...@apache.org>.
Ugh, stupid me, we have Harmony right here at Apache :-) Thanks Tim, I
will take a look, and ask questions if we can't figure it on our own.

Thanks,
Andrus

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <aa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.