Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Neal Sanche <ne...@nsdev.org> on 2006/03/12 01:17:05 UTC

Trying out Eclipse Tooling

Hi Sachin et al,

I am trying out the Eclipse tooling as per your previously posted
instructions. I clicked the link to download the Geronimo runtime, and
have a Geronimo 1.0.0 server installed. I am able to get Eclipse to see
the geronimo server, start it etc., but when I create a new Dynamic Web
Project and tell it to run on the Geronimo server, it will not be deployed.

I tried setting up a Tomcat 5.5 server, and it deploys my simple web
project (I include an index.jsp that simply says 'Hello World' in the
body.) and when I tell Eclipse to run it on the Tomcat server, I
immediate see the 'Hello World' text displayed.

What might I be doing wrong here? I am using Eclipse 3.2M5, with a
recent build of the WST (1.0.1.v200603022200) and JST
(1.0.1.v200602280450) and everything those versions depend on. Is there
a trick to get the geronimo deployments to work? Is the ParentId
optional, or do I have to set it to something in the Geronimo deployment
descriptor editors?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers.

-Neal

Re: Trying out Eclipse Tooling

Posted by Neal Sanche <ne...@nsdev.org>.
Hi Sachin,

Okay, I've run Eclipse under 1.4.2 and tried the project that I created
earlier, and that didn't work. So I created a brand-new Dynamic Web
Project and it deployed and ran just like the Tomcat one did. So I guess
ignoring the warning that said 'Running a JDK other than 1.4 is not
supported.' was where I went wrong. Thanks for your help.

-Neal

Posted by Neal Sanche <ne...@nsdev.org>.
Sachin Patel wrote:
> Hi, WTP 1.0.1 is built and runs on Eclipse 3.1.2, so first I wouldn't
> recommend using 3.2M5.
But the build of WTP was built with the 3.2M5 release and as far as I
could tell the unit tests all passed there.
> Also could you clarify by "it will not be deployed"?  Do you happen to
> be running eclipse using Java 5? If so this is not currently supported.
I am running Eclipse under Java 1.6.0, but I have associated Geronimo
with the JDK 1.4.2. I meant by 'it will not be deployed' I cannot see
any information in the Geronimo logs that indicate that anything was
deployed at all. There are no changes in my Geronimo tree.

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.