Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org> on 2005/07/01 01:39:38 UTC

spikesource, Gump3 Presentation

Hi,

The thread about Gump3 presentation made me think about spikesource
(www.spikesource.com)

Spikesource are a new commercial company. One of the things they do is
have a gump-like setup that makes daily builds of a range of open-source
projects. I know because they recently emailed commons-dev asking why
commons-logging was failing to build for them.

They have a web interface to the current build state here:
   http://spikesource.com/spikewatch/

Just thought people might be interested...

Regards,

Simon

Re: spikesource, Gump3 Presentation

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
Simon Kitching wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Simon!

> The thread about Gump3 presentation made me think about spikesource
> (www.spikesource.com)
>
> Spikesource are a new commercial company. One of the things they do is
> have a gump-like setup

uhm, I would call that a cruise-control-like setup. Gump is *different*.
Come to my ApacheCon EU presentation to find out exactly how it is
different! The spikesource people should certainly come ;)

> that makes daily builds of a range of open-source
> projects. I know because they recently emailed commons-dev asking why
> commons-logging was failing to build for them.

Hehehe. Point them to the gump descriptor, it contains the data they
need :-)

> They have a web interface to the current build state here:
>    http://spikesource.com/spikewatch/

Boooooring :-)

It certainly *looks* pretty though. We can borrow some workflow ideas.
Thomas, you reading? :-)

I'll put my money on Maven Continuum blowing this to pieces sometime
soon (seems like it fulfills the same need) as that's got broad
community backing. There is no way a corporate service is going to be
better at maintaining something like this when there's an open source
project that does the same.

> Just thought people might be interested...

Yeah, I'm watching. Seems like a really weird way to try and make money
from open source.

cheers!

Leo

Re: spikesource, Gump3 Presentation

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>.
> > They have a web interface to the current build state here:
> >    http://spikesource.com/spikewatch/
> >
> > Just thought people might be interested...
>
> To me, it looks pretty laughable compared to gump... what am I missing?

Perhaps the charts and/or historical data? Some seems to be there "just
because the could", not sure why you'd care (e.g. individual committer
activity), but they are worth a look. That said, thy seem to by
Gump2-like -- i.e. static pages w/ lots of information and not the focused
queries we'd like. Maybe they need to do that for some of the more complex
calculations though, for resource reasons.

Thanks for the link Simon.

regards

Adam

Re: spikesource, Gump3 Presentation