Posted to dev@devicemap.apache.org by Marvin <no...@apache.org> on 2014/06/04 16:15:03 UTC

Incubator PMC/Board report for Jun 2014 ([ppmc])

Dear podling,

This email was sent by an automated system on behalf of the Apache Incubator PMC.
It is an initial reminder to give you plenty of time to prepare your quarterly
board report.

The board meeting is scheduled for Wed, 18 June 2014, 10:30:30:00 PST. The report
for your podling will form a part of the Incubator PMC report. The Incubator PMC
requires your report to be submitted 2 weeks before the board meeting, to allow
sufficient time for review and submission (Wed, Jun 4th).

Please submit your report with sufficient time to allow the incubator PMC, and
subsequently board members to review and digest. Again, the very latest you
should submit your report is 2 weeks prior to the board meeting.

Thanks,

The Apache Incubator PMC

Submitting your Report
----------------------

Your report should contain the following:

 * Your project name
 * A brief description of your project, which assumes no knowledge of the project
   or necessarily of its field
 * A list of the three most important issues to address in the move towards
   graduation.
 * Any issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be aware of
 * How has the community developed since the last report
 * How has the project developed since the last report.

This should be appended to the Incubator Wiki page at:

  http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/June2014

Note: This manually populated. You may need to wait a little before this page is
      created from a template.

Mentors
-------
Mentors should review reports for their project(s) and sign them off on the
Incubator wiki page. Signing off reports shows that you are following the
project - projects that are not signed may raise alarms for the Incubator PMC.

Incubator PMC

Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Jun 2014 ([ppmc])

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
I accidentally dropped devicemap-dev@ off of an email exchange with Werner.
Reposting (with Werner's permission):

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
And one more...

Fwd: Incubator PMC/Board report for Jun 2014 ([ppmc])

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Kevan/all,

[...]

"client" code. There is regular sync with OpenDDR and until we know the
data/resource gathering can be done at DeviceMap in a consistent and
approved way that helps grow the community, it is good to be backward
compatible with OpenDDR. Should it be necessary to use it as "fall-back"...

For the bottom parts including last time (code) committers were added,
please refer to earlier Wiki or ask Bertrand.

Cheers,

Werner

That was done earlier, but let me try accumulate it here:

--------------------DeviceMapApache DeviceMap is a data repository
containing device information, imagesand other relevant information
for all sorts of mobile devices, e.g.smartphones and tablets. While
the focus is initially on that data, APIs willalso be created to use
and manage it.DeviceMap has been incubating since 2012-01-03.Three
most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:  1.
Does Appache support contribution throgh a Web based interface/API to
add new device specs (similar to e.g. Eclipse Babel)  2. Improved
support for additional languages/platform (.NET, PHP,...)  3. Any
issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to beaware
of?How has the community developed since the last report?
Presentations at conferences like JavaLand raised awareness. A Mobile
Development MeetUp group in Germany is looking into the code, and
where they might contribute.How has the project developed since the
last report?Syncing device data with OpenDDR in regular intervals when
relevant changes occur. Update of the Java DDR Simple API and other
libraries.Date of last release:   2014-03-24When were the last
committers or PMC members elected?

The release is based on recent updates and SVN tags, it can be considered
"Milestone" or "Snapshot" release, while the project is incubating.

Please add anything that crosses your mind or other may still want to
mention, too.

I guess you know when the last committer was elected. That's been a while
ago, which is why a more "lightweight" alternative for contributing (only
device data, no executable source code) is important do explore and
implement[?]

We might share such contributions if the system is in place under
"community" if the people who do that are not seen as "committers" in
traditional sense, but it would clearly show what people do or don't.

Thanks,
Werner

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 5:14 AM, Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:  1. Web based interface to verify and add new device specs  2. Improved support for additional languages/platform (.NET, PHP,...)  3.

These are technical issues -- not graduation issues. I would hope to see
discussion of a DeviceMap release and growing the community.

I can copy into the Wiki, once we have material.

--kevan

Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Jun 2014 ([ppmc])

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
No, it's that special (?) Wiki page for the PMC report. And Gopal who

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 10:23 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Bertrand,

Please update this wiki page ASAP. Nobody else can. I just tried and even
adding a new user failed for some reason.
We're already past the required date. And it has not been submitted for
DeviceMap for months. The approach for device data submission was the most
important effort (see earlier message) and regarding community, you may
mention, I did a presentation, another one scheduled in July and the
organizer of that (Mobile Developer) MeetUp also wants to look into the
project, potentially contribute if he can. So those one or two sentences
should do.