Posted to dev@ambari.apache.org by Joe Wang <jw...@hortonworks.com> on 2016/10/06 00:34:35 UTC

Upgrade node to version 4.x

Hi all,

I recently worked on AMBARI-18245<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMBARI-18245>, which upgrades the Node.js version that Ambari uses from v0.10.x to v4.5.0. The reason is that Node v0.10 is going EOL 2016-10-01: https://github.com/nodejs/LTS and not available on PPC, ARM, etc.

This change will neither affect Ambari’s runtime environment, nor its building procedure. The only thing that’s affected is Frontend Development and Frontend Unit Testing. The modules that are affected are Ambari Web, Ambari Admin and contrib/views/* modules. To be able to run “brunch build/watch” and “npm test”, you will need to clean up the node_modules under the affected directory and run “npm install” to pull the required libs.

I will commit this patch to trunk and branch-2.5 on Friday (10/07/2016), in case you have any concern about this change. In that case, please feel free to contact me. Please also don’t upgrade your Node.js before that as that will break your current dev env.

Thank you

— Zhe (Joe) Wang

Re: Upgrade node to version 4.x

Posted by Joe Wang <jw...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi All,

The work has been committed to trunk and branch-2.5. If you are working on ambari-web, after pulling from git, you will need to:

1.       Uninstall node.js if its version is not v4.x.

2.       Install node.js v4 (v6/npm v3 will not work).

3.       cd to ambari/ambari-web

4.       run: rm –rf node_modules

5.       run: npm install

6.       You will probably need to run: npm install -g brunch@1.7.20<ma...@1.7.20>, if brunch watch/build gives out error.