Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Massimiliano Giraldo <ma...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/07 10:07:13 UTC

Jmeter, Apache Web Server and JBoss Cluster: the response time grows!

Hi all!

I'm testing (with JMeter) Apache Web Server with a cluster of two computers
with JBoss (mod_jk for connection between Web Server and JBoss).
I make requests to a simple servlet.
I plan:
- 1000 users;
- 0 or 1 second of ramp-up;
- 10 requests for each user.

I see that the response times sometimes get worse, reaching steps of 1.5
seconds, 3 seconds and 9 seconds.

If I plan 5 or 10 seconds of ramp-up, the average response time is about 2-3
ms (and it's ok!)
If I plan 500 users and 0 seconds of ramp-up, the delay reaches 3 seconds
(and it doesn't reach 9 seconds).

I suppose that there are some settings that limit the number of active
threads (in Jmeter, Apache or JBoss) and therefore, when there are many
active threads, some of them will be deferred.

Is it correct?
Was anyone of you in this situation?
Does anyone know which settings I need to modify to resolve my problem?

Thanks

Max

-----
http://www.pcguide.netsons.org http://www.pcguide.netsons.org

Re: Running only parts of a test

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 07/11/2008, Jeff Faulkner <je...@docmagic.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to have a multi-threaded test "using remote hosts" where each host runs only the thread group I specify?  It seems it might be possible but I can't find details on how to accomplish it.

Not easily. The entire test plan is sent to each host, so you can only
achieve this by using some conditional test based on the host name. It
would be very tedious to do. Much simpler would be to run the tests as
stand-alone tests on the remote host. Or run multiple client-server
instances.

Running only parts of a test

Posted by Jeff Faulkner <je...@docmagic.com>.

Re: Jmeter, Apache Web Server and JBoss Cluster: the response time grows!

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
The  View Result in Table Listener is fairly expensive as it has to
keep details for every sample. Try disabling it. If you use CSV output
you can reload the data later.

However, I think the problem is purely due to the excessively short
ramp-up. As your tests show, a ramp-up of 5 or so works much better.
Even a value 5 means that JMeter has to create 200 sampler threads in
one second. That's a lot of work, both for JMeter - and the server and
network if JMeter succeeds in doing so.

You probably need to use more samples (or repeat the existing ones),
so that the first threads are still running when the last threads
start.

What is the load that your server is expected to handle?

Posted by Massimiliano Giraldo <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi!

-----

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.