Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Nicolas CHARLOT <ml...@isics.fr> on 2007/03/13 08:12:59 UTC

One repository / Many projects : How to differenciate revisions ?

Hi all,

We are new users of Subversion.

At a same time, we are working on many projects. We've setup a
repository and want to use it to handle all our projects. The
recommended structure is to create a root folder for each project.
That's OK. The issue is that we have a global counter for the
repository. Is Subversion able to manage revisions by folder ?

If not, what do U advise me ?

Thanks

Nicolas

Re: One repository / Many projects : How to differenciate revisions ?

Posted by Andreas Schweigstill <an...@schweigstill.de>.
Dear Nicolas!

Nicolas CHARLOT schrieb:
> Is Subversion able to manage revisions by folder ?

Subversion doesn't support different revision numbering for each
folders. That is not a bug but a feature.

When using Subversion revision numbers don't have such a static meaning
as on CVS. E.g.: r100 > r77 has the following meaning:
- r100 is newer than r77
- Probably there has been changed something between r100 and r77

It does *not* mean:
- On my folder structure have been performed 23 commits
- There has been changed something between r100 and r77

> If not, what do U advise me ?

You should read the Subversion book.

And I will answer the next few question that you want to ask:

Q: How can I stick some tags to a certain reivision.
A: You can either copy the HEAD or a specific revision to a tags folder,
    like recommended in the SVNbook.

Q: I tried it but that creates a new revision?!
A: Yes. And this is the corected and expected behaviour.

Q: After copying to a tags folder, the revision numbers of all those
    tags get incremented although nothing got changed?!
A: Yes. Use "svn info" and look at the "Last Changed Rev:" field.

With best regards
Andreas Schweigstill

--
Dipl.-Phys. Andreas Schweigstill
Schweigstill IT | Embedded Systems

RE: RE: Re: One repository / Many projects : How to differenciate revisions ?

Posted by James Oltmans <jo...@bolosystems.com>.
There are disadvantages. It makes merging between projects a real pita.

I recommend using branches within the same repository. We tried
different repositories for different projects and it has not been fun
trying to get changes from one repository into another.

I concur with Nicolas, don't attach any meaning to the number. If you
want a revision number per project perhaps you should experiment with
svn props and hook scripts....

________________________________

Posted by Bradford Smith <br...@gmail.com>.

You can use the "Last Changed Rev" recorded for the trunk/branch of the
project you are interested in.  For directories, this number is updated
whenever any thing under the directory tree is modified, no matter how far
down the tree the change was made.  So, if you have this layout:

/project1/trunk/
/project2/trunk/

And you change, say, /project1/trunk/foo/bar/baz.c,  the "Last Changed Rev"
for /project1/trunk will be updated to the latest revision number, but the
"Last Changed Rev" for /project2/trunk will be left unchanged.  Be aware,
though, that you should always check this number using a repository URL,
because the value stored in the working directory is not updated when you
commit changes unless you added/moved/removed something in the directory
itself.  So for example:

bsmith@bsmith-laptop:~$ svn info file:///home/bsmith/svn/APACHE3/trunk
Repository Root: file:///home/bsmith/svn/APACHE3
Repository UUID: 6434ac76-2f2b-0410-b569-d6c27546e744
Revision: 2
Node Kind: directory
Last Changed Author: bsmith
Last Changed Rev: 2
Last Changed Date: 2007-03-08 15:46:05 -0500 (Thu, 08 Mar 2007)

HTH,

Bradford C. Smith

Re: One repository / Many projects : How to differenciate revisions ?

Posted by Duncan Murdoch <mu...@stats.uwo.ca>.
On 3/16/2007 3:34 AM, Donkers, H.C. (Kurt) wrote:
> On Mar 13, 2007, at 03:12, Nicolas CHARLOT wrote:
>
>>> At a same time, we are working on many projects. We've setup a
>>> repository and want to use it to handle all our projects. The
>>> recommended structure is to create a root folder for each project.
>>> That's OK. The issue is that we have a global counter for the
>>> repository. Is Subversion able to manage revisions by folder ?
>>>
>>> If not, what do U advise me ?
>> No. The revision number is global for the repository.
>>
>> My advice to you is not to worry about it. Do not attach any meaning
>> to the number, other than "the number of changes that have been made
>> in the repository." See also the FAQ:
>>
>> http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#globalrev
>
> There is of course also the possibility to use multiple repositories (one per project), in which case you would have one revision number per project.
> There aren't any major disadvantages to this right?

There are some disadvantages, but I don't know if they are "major":

- It's not possible to copy a file from one project to another and keep
its history.
- You need to backup each project, instead of just backing up one
repository.

Some small advantages, too:

- The repositories are smaller, so easier to back up, and if projects
eventually are abandoned, you won't need to maintain all their code in
backups forever.
- It's slightly easier to have varying access permissions for different
projects when they are in different repositories.

Duncan Murdoch

RE: Re: One repository / Many projects : How to differenciate revisions ?

Posted by "Donkers, H.C. (Kurt)" <K....@bergson.nl>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 13, 2007, at 03:20, Nicolas CHARLOT wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt a écrit :
>
>> No. The revision number is global for the repository.
>>
>> My advice to you is not to worry about it. Do not attach any
>> meaning to the number, other than "the number of changes that have
>> been made in the repository." See also the FAQ:
>>
>> http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#globalrev
>
> Thanks for this quick answer.
>
> Are U writing the considered projet name in each log message or the
> log is readable only for one project ?

Please keep replies on the list by using Reply To All.

I do not write the project name into the log, because it's not
necessary. On the one hand, you can use "svn log -v" to see the paths
that were affected; thus, you can see which project was affected.
Furthermore if you say "svn log -v $REPO/project" you will only get
the log for that project. You can do the same for any subdirectory or
file of the repository.

Re: One repository / Many projects : How to differenciate revisions ?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.