Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Emperor <Da...@gmx.net> on 2002/02/25 23:47:08 UTC

self disposing system...

Got no answer so I post it again ;)

Why don't extend the attempt made by the manager's release method? I
think it is a kind of reference counted self destruction of blocks,
isn't it? And thats all we need. When all blocks in a manager are
disposed it could notify the embeddor (or whatever else- through an
event handler), which could then shutdowns itself. So you could shutdown
your app simply by calling dispose on your app's top level component.

RE: self disposing system...

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Thinking out-load....

I'm think that the notion of shutting down a system is at higher
level than a component.  An embeddor (in Phoenix) is basically
constructing an application based on an description that reference
block implementation meta-info together with the corresponding
block implementation. That information is used to build an
application by dynamically composing blocks based on published
dependencies.

Applications could (in-principal as opposed to the current Phoenix
embeddor approach) be consider as a single root-block that is
acting as the application container.  It would make sense for such
a root-block to be able to manage its own existence - which is already
possible (via managed disposal).  If that root-block were considered
as synonymous with an embedded, then you have an embeddor with
autonomous control over it's existence.  About the only thing
needed here is the ability for a block to generate its own block
disposal events.  This is not so different to the current model -
basically what I'm describing here is an active block and what we
have presently is a passive block with an active embeddor.

Given the above, you could easily imagine a Phoenix variant that
provided pluggable port/protocol listeners and would handle the
automatic activation of active-blocks (when required) and the
redirection of incoming request to registered blocks.  This could
fit very nicely with the Excalibur scratchpad Container model.

Cheers, Steve.

AW: self disposing system...

Posted by Emperor <Da...@gmx.net>.

Re: self disposing system...