Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Trampas Stern <ts...@dacaudio.com> on 2002/06/21 17:47:46 UTC

File System Question

Hi,

I am a newbie to the world of Linux and such, I did set myself up with
an e-smith server (www.e-smith.org <http://www.e-smith.org/> ). I was
looking for a "version control" system for this new and wonderful beast
and had previously seen subversion on slashdot. I was reading through
some of the documentation and it mentioned a "versioning file system,"
and I wanted to see if it was indeed what I thought it was.

What I have been looking for is a file system where I can share a
directory on a server and then each write and possibly read to that
directory is logged, and when there is a write the older version is
saved. This way I can track the progress of my projects. For example I
can print a report each week saying I added xxx number of lines of code
this week. Also I wanted this for documents as well as source code, thus
I can tell who accessed and changed the document.

Does or will subversion do this? If so is it currently semi functional,
enough for a test? Or does someone know of a better soultion?

Thanks

Trampas Stern

Re: File System Question

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Trampas Stern wrote:

>As I mentioned I am new to Linux so will see what docs I can find for
>the VFS in samba. This sounds like the perfect solution.

Those docs are in the samba sources. But note that the functionality
isn't enabled by default, you'll have to recompile Samba. Other than
that, it's pretty simple to use -- there's no kernel hacking involved.

Of course, if you'd be willing to wait a few months, I'll certainly get
around to writing a Samba plug-in. I've written such a beast
(repository->filesystem) converter before, so I know my way around the
Samba code quite well.

RE: File System Question

Posted by Trampas Stern <ts...@dacaudio.com>.

Re: File System Question

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

RE: File System Question

Posted by Trampas Stern <ts...@dacaudio.com>.
My other thought was to hack samba to share the subversion system as a
network share.

Trampas

> What I have been looking for is a file system where I can share a
> directory on a server and then each write and possibly read to that
> directory is logged, and when there is a write the older version is
> saved. This way I can track the progress of my projects. For example I
> can print a report each week saying I added xxx number of lines of
code
> this week. Also I wanted this for documents as well as source code,
thus
> I can tell who accessed and changed the document.
>
> Does or will subversion do this? If so is it currently semi
functional,
> enough for a test? Or does someone know of a better soultion?

Subversion as it stands today is not exactly what you're looking for,
as it requires user intervention to actually "take a snapshot" of the
files you wish to have versioned.

However, I started researching (just for kicks) the idea of writing a
Linux kernel module that would allow someone to mount a Subversion
repository as a regular volume, with all mods to that volume
automagically "committed" and thereby versioned.

This is very similar to way that Web Folders on Windows--which
is an implementation of the DAV protocol--works, and since Subversion
is already equipped with some basic DAV support, we are probably not
too far away from being able to use a Subversion repository as a Web
Folder backend, and having the whole auto-versioning support.

Re: File System Question

Posted by cm...@collab.net.