Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Stefan Eissing <st...@eissing.org> on 2021/12/06 10:36:51 UTC

release vibes?

Friends of httpd, how do you feel about a release in the next two weeks?

Kind Regards,
Stefan

Re: release vibes?

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

On 07/12/2021 16:16, Mladen Turk wrote:

> On 06/12/2021 11:36, Stefan Eissing wrote:
>> Friends of httpd, how do you feel about a release in the next two weeks?
>>

> +1
> Release early, release often

Anyhow, who I'm I to say, not even metinioned on
https://httpd.apache.org/contributors/

Regards
--
^TM

Re: release vibes?

Posted by Nick Edwards <ni...@gmail.com>.
Release often?  let me tell you of a story from a System Administrators
perspective as to why thats bad and should be avoided and you should learn
from other people's mistakes

There is a reason sysads dislike developers, they have this "oh new code
gotta push it out right away" mentality, but we push back saying nope we
just did your upgrade it can wait will another one, and the golden rule is
nobody updates anything during the christmas "embargo" period which I
believe Noel was referring to, this generally is from two weeks before
Christmas, til two weeks after the start of the New Year.

There was once this young guy who developed this shiny new yet highly
popular internet daemon, in its infancy it was a wizzbang and everybody
loved it and was moving to it, the problem soon arose that every new
feature was pushed out, and as murphy dictates, problem be found, sometimes
sysads were having to update this highly popular software every few weeks,
sometimes more, there was even a few times we recall having to update it
three times in just ONE week because of this push push push mentality, this
results in a large percentage of sysads pushing back and refusing to test
let alone update, over time this continued, new releases every few weeks,
tiresome - like we have nothing better to do but upgrade the same software
over and over and over, wasn't going to happen, and didn't happen, some of
these were to fix nasty exploitable problems, but almost nobody bothered
because "jesus christ another bloody update"... a lot of people were burned.

That same project did get a lot better with a rewrite of its code and a
move to a new "major release" the updates still came, but not thick and
fast, this made sysads much happier, the developer had learned push often
is not what system and network operators want, now days sysads love that
project, it releases every few months on average which we can accept and
has much fewer bugs, and rarely anything severe.

That project, is called   dovecot

Re: release vibes?

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Re: release vibes?

Posted by Giovanni Bechis <gi...@paclan.it>.
On 12/8/21 13:56, Joe Orton wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 06, 2021 at 11:36:51AM +0100, Stefan Eissing wrote:
>> Friends of httpd, how do you feel about a release in the next two weeks?
>
> Sounds good to me. We may have fewer people around to test it, but at
> least trying to get a release out is better than definitely having no
> release IMO.

+1
let's try to cook a release.
 Giovanni

Re: release vibes?

Posted by Stefan Eissing <st...@eissing.org>.

> Am 08.12.2021 um 13:56 schrieb Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>:
>
> On Mon, Dec 06, 2021 at 11:36:51AM +0100, Stefan Eissing wrote:
>> Friends of httpd, how do you feel about a release in the next two weeks?
>
> Sounds good to me. We may have fewer people around to test it, but at
> least trying to get a release out is better than definitely having no
> release IMO.

Excellent. I propose targeting Tuesday 14th for a candidate. If
we go later, it becomes very close to the holidays. But if the time is
needed, we can do that as well.

I will hold back the current http2 backport, as I need some more people
to dare test that from the github on their sites.

The mod_tls acceptance I understood as we would like to include that
as experimental in the next 2.4.x release. If there are no objections,
I will prepare that.

Kind Regards,
Stefan

Re: release vibes?

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>.

Re: release vibes?

Posted by Noel Butler <no...@ausics.net>.
On 08/12/2021 01:14, Mladen Turk wrote:

> On 06/12/2021 12:27, Noel Butler wrote: On 06/12/2021 20:36, Stefan
> Eissing wrote:
>
> Friends of httpd, how do you feel about a release in the next two
> weeks?
>
> Kind Regards,
> Stefan
> -1
>
> Thats days before christmas, most testers and i'm sure devs will be in
> holiday mode, even if not, that close to christmas means server updates
> are in embargo status in most organisations.

Probably the worst -1 reason ever.

Regards

really? so, who is going to test for bugs, just the handful of code
submitters?

so us non PMC testers are not needed, cool, cya :)

Noel Butler

This Email, including attachments, may contain legally privileged
information, therefore at all times remains confidential and subject to
copyright protected under international law. You may not disseminate
this message without the authors express written authority to do so.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender then
delete all copies of this message including attachments immediately.
Confidentiality, copyright, and legal privilege are not waived or lost
by reason of the mistaken delivery of this message.

Re: release vibes?

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Re: release vibes?

Posted by Noel Butler <no...@ausics.net>.