Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ballard <kb...@cinci.rr.com> on 2002/07/18 20:57:02 UTC

Newbie Struts requirements question

I've got a question. I want to run this Struts sample app at home but I'm
running Windows ME. I've downloaded the Apache web server but it isn't
really supported on ME. I don't want to make this exercise any harder than
it needs to be, so I'm thinking of upgrading my OS to Windows XP
Professional. What I can't figure out from the Microsoft site is: Can I run
services on Windows XP Professional? Or can I run them on the regular XP?
Would I be better of upgrading to Windows 2000 Professional? I know I can
run services on that. I know the missus wouldn't be pleased if I switched
our PC to Linux so it's either 2000 Pro or some kind of XP. (I think).

You don't happen to have any insight here, do you?

RE: Newbie Struts requirements question

Posted by Mark Nichols <st...@partitionsoftware.com>.
For what it's worth I'm running (slow, but running) Tomcat 4.x, struts 1.1b1
on an old IBM ThinkPad with a 166MHz CPU and 80 MB RAM. It has Windows ME
installed. Also I've got Eclipse 2.0 with EasyStruts loaded and running here
too.

Of course just as soon as some one is nice enough to gift me a new 2.4 GHz
laptop I'll pitch this one into the nearest lake. =)

</mark>

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@btinternet.com>.
You don't have to have a web server to run struts - you do need a servlet
container such as Tomcat. I don't know anything about Windows ME, but I used
to run Tomcat of Windows 98 at home, before I upgraded to Win2000.

Niall