Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "William C. Mount" <Mo...@cat.com> on 2006/05/17 16:38:18 UTC

[users@httpd] Wingdings font problem

I'm having a problem displaying a page through an apache 2.0.52 webserver.

The site developer has used the Wingdings font in the webpage.  If I
access the page using IE, it's a bunch of wingding characters, using
firefox and netscape it's better, but the character displays as a diamond
and not an arrow.

If I put the page in an iplanet or IIS webserver, it displays fine.  Is
there anything special that needs to be done to the config on the apache
site or with the OS to get this to work right?

The Apache/iplanet box is Redhat ES3.

Thanks,
William C. Mount RHCE
J2EE Web Solutions CoEx
Global IT Solutions
Caterpillar Inc.
600 W. Washington St.
East Peoria IL,  61630
(309) 675-3031 - Desk
(309) 256-8099 - Cell
mountwc@cat.com

"I love the way Microsoft follows standards.  In much the same manner that
fish follow migrating caribou."
  -- Paul Tomblin

Re: [users@httpd] Wingdings font problem

Posted by "William C. Mount" <Mo...@cat.com>.
That fixed it.

Thanks Joshua!

William C. Mount RHCE
J2EE Web Solutions CoEx
Global IT Solutions
Caterpillar Inc.
600 W. Washington St.
East Peoria IL,  61630
(309) 675-3031 - Desk
(309) 256-8099 - Cell
mountwc@cat.com

"I love the way Microsoft follows standards.  In much the same manner that
fish follow migrating caribou."
  -- Paul Tomblin

"Joshua Slive" <jo...@slive.ca>
Sent by: jslive@gmail.com
05/17/2006 09:48 AM
Please respond to
users@httpd.apache.org

users@httpd.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: [users@httpd] Wingdings font problem

Caterpillar: Confidential Green Retain Until: 06/16/2006        Retention
Category:  G90 - General Matters/Administration

On 5/17/06, William C. Mount <Mo...@cat.com> wrote:

> I'm having a problem displaying a page through an apache 2.0.52
webserver.

>  The site developer has used the Wingdings font in the webpage.  If I
access
> the page using IE, it's a bunch of wingding characters, using firefox
and
> netscape it's better, but the character displays as a diamond and not an
> arrow.
>
>  If I put the page in an iplanet or IIS webserver, it displays fine.  Is
> there anything special that needs to be done to the config on the apache
> site or with the OS to get this to work right?
>
>  The Apache/iplanet box is Redhat ES3.

Look for the AddDeafaultCharset directive.  Try commenting it out or
changing it to something reasonable for your content.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Wingdings font problem

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.