Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org> on 2014/12/11 13:50:50 UTC

build managed by maven?

Hi,

(I write this question as a hypothetical interested developer, not as a
mentor, please keep it in mind)

I just came to the project and checking out the quick start instructions
available at:

   http://nifi.incubator.apache.org/development/quickstart

I wonder what's the business logic contained by the misc/build-order.sh
script that can't be directly managed by maven?

I know the process could look easier with bash scripts. I see quite many
cross-platform issues that could be avoided by moving the complete build
to maven.

Please, let me know if I should file a jira this.

Cheers,

--
Sergio Fernández
Partner Technology Manager

Re: build managed by maven?

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Sergio,

It is a perfectly good question in any hat and I do think a Jira would be
good because this really does need to be sorted out.

The background:
The build-order script was put in recently just to aid folks in getting the
whole build done quickly without having to step through all the pieces.

We have historically released new builds several times per week and even at
times several times per day.  The gap between idea/function/defect and
operational reality was often hours.  So we tuned everything about our
development/deployment process to that end.

Now though we realize we need a different approach.  The core api,
framework, application and utility libraries can probably be all under a
single parent build.  The extensions though (processors, controller tasks,
reporting tasks, prioritizers) need their own.  I touched out this a bit in
the incubator proposal - we need to figure out the model that works well.

As we do a better job of communicating and providing documentation and as
folks get more familiar with NiFi I am very curious to see where this
conversation will go.  We have a related concern looming which is the
concept if NiFi Archives (Nar) bundles.  These are how we put groups of
extensions/capabilities into NiFi while providing classloader isolation.
We're not quite sure if we can publish these to any particular artifact
repositories.  These bundles contain the NiFi code/extensions for that
module but they also contain their dependencies.  Will certainly be
describing this more fully as this is a really important area too.

Thanks
Joe