Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Andres Voldman <av...@profesi.com.ar> on 2001/01/11 13:55:31 UTC

XSLT or XSP???

Hi everybody:

this is the scenario:

I've one xml "personaldata.xml" which contains addresses of several people.
I render it using XSL, and it works perfectly.

Now, I want to build a new Frame with a Menu to the diferent sections of the
personaldata.xml. The problem is that the sections are optional.

My first aproach was to build a new xml called "menu.xml" and a "menu.xsl".
It works Ok, I used <xsl:if test="document("personaldata.xml")//telephones[ @id = $param])"> in
the style sheet to get information from the "personaldata.xml".

The problem with this solutions it that is not elegant at all ( both, the logic and
the presentation are mixed in the ".xsl", while the ".xml" is almost empty)

I also thought about this other posible solutions:

1. xinclude personaldata.xml in a file called "personaldata-menu.xml",
   and use 2 xsl . The first one to convert the "personaldata-menu.xml", in
   a menu , and the second one to render the menu in HTML.

2. Use XSP in the personaldata.xml, and receive the style sheet  as parameter
   ( personaldata.xsl or personaldata-menu.xsl)

3. Use XSP in the  "personaldata-menu.xml" and parse for the existence of
  the sections  in the "personaldata.xml". (Nice but too complex for such a
  small problems )

So, guys: what do you think????

Thanks in advance

Andres

PD: I tookme one hour to translate this email to english, so I'll be very happy
if I receice at least one opinion.