Posted to dev@freemarker.apache.org by Pradeep Murugesan <pr...@outlook.com> on 2015/12/13 17:28:32 UTC

IRC Time for Freemarker

Hi Team,

            I feel like we should have a time for chat room, like at least 30 minutes per day, initially. The reason I am feeling so is that the turn around time for any small change when discussed through email is taking a bit long. Mainly due to the time zone differences and also if want to ask another clarification regarding the reply it will take more time.

I hope if we jumping into  freemarker chatroom @ https://webchat.freenode.net/# should help things to turn around quickly. Also any new contributors coming in should get this chatroom useful.

May be we all can decide on a time if everyone feels that we require this chat room thing.

Let me know your thoughts.

Pradeep.

Re: IRC Time for Freemarker

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
I don't think that's realistic, especially for FreeMarker which has a
very small and sporadically involved contributor community. The
primary way of communication is e-mail at ASF because it allows anyone
to participate (or at least read and learn from it) even if (s)he
isn't there when the message was submitted.

As of the turnaround time, one has to try to offset that with being
self-supporting, like figuring out things from the source code,
reading after the topic his contribution is related to, etc. That's
the only way it will work for OS projects anyway.

 Daniel Dekany

Sunday, December 13, 2015, 5:28:32 PM, Pradeep Murugesan wrote:

> Hi Team,
>

>             I feel like we should have a time for chat room, like
> at least 30 minutes per day, initially. The reason I am feeling so
> is that the turn around time for any small change when discussed
> through email is taking a bit long. Mainly due to the time zone
> differences and also if want to ask another clarification regarding the reply it will take more time.
>

> I hope if we jumping into  freemarker chatroom @
> https://webchat.freenode.net/# should help things to turn around
> quickly. Also any new contributors coming in should get this chatroom useful.
>

> May be we all can decide on a time if everyone feels that we require this chat room thing.
>

> Let me know your thoughts.
>

> Pradeep.

---