Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com> on 2008/09/15 11:54:06 UTC

Depending on incubating project

Hi

Within Apache FtpServer, a subproject of MINA, we would like to
investigate the use of JSecurity to replace our current home-brewed
security solution. Now, JSecurity is still in incubation. Would this
pose a formal problem? I believe I fully understand the risks
involved, I'm more in search for guidance on Apache policies on this
matter.

In this case, we could depend on the last non-Apache release (0.9)
while JSecurity works its way through incubation. But, I think it
would be beneficial for both projects for us to use the upcoming
Apache released versions.

/niklas

Re: Depending on incubating project

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@apache.org>.
Niklas Gustavsson wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 7:11 AM, Henning Schmiedehausen
> <he...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Branch and experiment. FtpServer does not need to be one-dimensional.
>> You will probably not release this code to an unsuspecting public
>> anyway, will you? ;-)
>>

> I wouldn't know about unsuspecting :-) Yes, I would like to include
> this code in the FtpServer releases. Of course we due warning in
> place, like the incubation disclaimer.

It might be better to used directly a JSecurit release. As they already
have released a 0.9 version outside of Apache, maybe helping them to get
a first release inside Apache would help. Branching may be a problem as
the code base will evolve in both projects, making it difficult to merge
later. (IMHO)

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Depending on incubating project

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@apache.org>.
Branch and experiment. FtpServer does not need to be one-dimensional.
You will probably not release this code to an unsuspecting public
anyway, will you? ;-)

	Ciao
		Henning

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 3:20 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The thing is that it can be a fairly long process...

Agreed, and it will add a risk for FtpServer if JSecurity would have
trouble releasing, for example due to IP problems.

> But if FtpServer
> committers can give an hand to the JSecurity team to fulfill the release
> constrainsts, this can be a good thing for this project, accelerating it's
> incubation process, for sure.

Agreed.

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
> The thing is that it can be a fairly long process... But if FtpServer
> committers can give an hand to the JSecurity team to fulfill the release
> constrainsts, this can be a good thing for this project, accelerating it's
> incubation process, for sure.

This would be great!  We'll accommodate however we can.

- Les

Re: Depending on incubating project

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Niklas Gustavsson wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 2:57 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> - legal, as while incubating, AFAIK, JSecurity can't release, when FtpServer
>> can : how does it fit ?
>>

> I believe incubating projects can now release as long as releases are
> clearly marked as incubating. And, if I understand things correctly,
> they are formal Apache releases as they have been voted by the IPMC.

Yeah, as described by the following page :
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html (my first post
was rather inexact, in that respect)

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 9:10 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 11:28 PM, Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ...Geronimo has released with multiple Incubator project dependencies in the
>> past (CXF, Yoko, ActiveMQ). Happily, they've all graduated :) In this
>> regard, not that Geronimo can take much credit, I think usage of Incubator
>> projects is a good thing. It brings additional Apache eyes onto the
>> project...
>
> Very good point - if ASF folks do not promote incubating projects, who will?

Agreed, this is the reason why I would like FtpServer to use the
releases made in incubation rather than use the non-Apache releases.

> As long as the appropriate disclaimers are in place, and as long as
> the project is ready to go to plan B if needed, I'm fine with
> depending on incubating projects.

Plan B in our case would be what Niclas described above, using
JSecurity as a complement to our current implementation. That way,
should JSecurity go feet up we can always go back to our own stuff
again.

Thanks all for your very valuable input!

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 11:28 PM, Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ...Geronimo has released with multiple Incubator project dependencies in the
> past (CXF, Yoko, ActiveMQ). Happily, they've all graduated :) In this
> regard, not that Geronimo can take much credit, I think usage of Incubator
> projects is a good thing. It brings additional Apache eyes onto the
> project...

Very good point - if ASF folks do not promote incubating projects, who will?

As long as the appropriate disclaimers are in place, and as long as
the project is ready to go to plan B if needed, I'm fine with
depending on incubating projects.

-Bertrand

Re: Depending on incubating project

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Kevan,

Need to bring up that Yoko failed, but Geronimo PMC took care of the
code to provide continuity.

thanks,
dims

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Niklas Gustavsson wrote:
>> They can be kept in a Maven repo, not just central. Thus, should we
>> want to take the route of using JSecurity we would have to add the
>> incubating repo in our POM.
>>

> Which maven repo do you have in mind ?

That would be http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-repository/
unless the ongoing vote changes things.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.
2008/9/16 Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>:

> As has been said in this thread already, so long as all IP concerns have
> been addressed and thus the podling is able to make releases, it is up
> to the PMC to decide whether to use an incubator artifact. If the
> podling should fail, the PMC then has the responsibility for supporting
> that artifact to its consumers. If the PMC is okay with that, then go
> ahead, use it like any normal resource.
>
> Upayavira

You make here the asumption that if the project fail in the incubation, it die.
It is 'theoriticaly' not always the case.  The project may very well
continue outside apache, may be (probably) with the same community.

--
Gilles Scokart

Re: Depending on incubating project

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 5:24 PM, Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com> wrote:
> They can be kept in a Maven repo, not just central. Thus, should we
> want to take the route of using JSecurity we would have to add the
> incubating repo in our POM.

As far as I correctly understand the concerns about the central Maven
repository, the point is to avoid incubating dependencies to be
downloaded automatically without some explicit user action.

So instead of adding the incubating repository in your POM, you should
instruct your users (or downstream developers) to manually add the
repository to their local Maven settings.

I believe the same applies also to non-Maven projects where for
example the dependencies are kept in a lib directory in svn. In such
cases the user should be instructed to manually download the
incubating dependency and place it in the correct location.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Depending on incubating project

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>

>> - legal, as while incubating, AFAIK, JSecurity can't release,
>> when FtpServer can : how does it fit ?
>>

> Not a legal issue, unless there is a legal issue blocking JSecurity
> releases.

> MINA should first work with JSecurity to make sure that all
> issues are resolved, first, e.g., any IP issues.  Once done, the actual
> bottom line is that if the MINA project wants to release JSecurity as an
> *internal* dependency, that is the MINA project's "problem" to support.

Yes. As we haven't stated if we can store incubated projects jars into
maven, I guess that means we will have to store the JSecurity jar within
Mina SVN repo.

Thanks for the clarification, Noel.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

RE: Depending on incubating project

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> - legal, as while incubating, AFAIK, JSecurity can't release,
> when FtpServer can : how does it fit ?

Not a legal issue, unless there is a legal issue blocking JSecurity
releases.  MINA should first work with JSecurity to make sure that all
issues are resolved, first, e.g., any IP issues.  Once done, the actual
bottom line is that if the MINA project wants to release JSecurity as an
*internal* dependency, that is the MINA project's "problem" to support.

	--- Noel

Re: Depending on incubating project

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 5:54 PM, Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Within Apache FtpServer, a subproject of MINA, we would like to
>> investigate the use of JSecurity to replace our current home-brewed
>> security solution. Now, JSecurity is still in incubation. Would this
>> pose a formal problem?
>>

> If you can "complement" instead of "replace", then I think you have an
> ideal situation.

There are many aspects :
- legal, as while incubating, AFAIK, JSecurity can't release, when
FtpServer can : how does it fit ?
- to cover case #1, you can still use the external JSecurity version, as
an external jar (but what about the IP problems ?)
- cross-improvements : as mentioned by Niclas, if FtpServer can
complement Jsecurity, and vice-versa, that would be interesting for both
projects.

I don't know about #1, but I think this is the main concern, so far.
Anyone has a strong opinion on this point ?

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Depending on incubating project

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 2:51 PM, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 5:54 PM, Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com> wrote:
>> Within Apache FtpServer, a subproject of MINA, we would like to
>> investigate the use of JSecurity to replace our current home-brewed
>> security solution. Now, JSecurity is still in incubation. Would this
>> pose a formal problem?
>
> If you can "complement" instead of "replace", then I think you have an
> ideal situation.

Yes, this is probably how things will work out anyways. At least for
some time until we have had the time to do the full replacement.
However, pretty much everything that is currently in FtpServer
security-wise has a better replacement in JSecurity. So, for the
long-run I think a full replacement would be the best option. But,
while JSecurity is incubating, this might be a good option, also to
have us get a better feeling for JSecurity before betting fully on it.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 5:54 PM, Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Within Apache FtpServer, a subproject of MINA, we would like to
> investigate the use of JSecurity to replace our current home-brewed
> security solution. Now, JSecurity is still in incubation. Would this
> pose a formal problem?

If you can "complement" instead of "replace", then I think you have an
ideal situation.

Cheers
Niclas

Re: Depending on incubating project

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 4:09 PM, Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why would an incubating project being more risky to use than an
> external project?

I don't think it is. But, I would feel more secure depending on a
Apache release as that would have gone through a formal release
process which includes a lot of legal verification. That might or
might not be true for an external project.

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.
2008/9/15 Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>:
> Hi
>
> Within Apache FtpServer, a subproject of MINA, we would like to
> investigate the use of JSecurity to replace our current home-brewed
> security solution. Now, JSecurity is still in incubation. Would this
> pose a formal problem? I believe I fully understand the risks
> involved, I'm more in search for guidance on Apache policies on this
> matter.
>
> In this case, we could depend on the last non-Apache release (0.9)
> while JSecurity works its way through incubation. But, I think it
> would be beneficial for both projects for us to use the upcoming
> Apache released versions.
>
> /niklas

I don't know about any guidelines, but I guess that at the end it is
up to the PMC to consider the risk of using an external library.  If
the PMC consider the risk of using a non-Apache library acceptable, I
guess that the risk of using the incubating version of the library
would be acceptable as well.