Posted to mod_python-dev@quetz.apache.org by "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gr...@ispol.com> on 2005/07/28 17:02:13 UTC

3.2

I just looked on JIRA, and there are 3 issues marked for 3.2.

http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolutionIds=-1&pid=10640&fixfor=11060

I don't see any of them as show stopping really, IMHO we should be able to
release 3.2 beta as it is now.

Could we have a little vote on this?

Thanks!

Re: 3.2

Posted by Jim Gallacher <jg...@sympatico.ca>.
Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:

> I just looked on JIRA, and there are 3 issues marked for 3.2.
>
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolutionIds=-1&pid=10640&fixfor=11060
>

> I don't see any of them as show stopping really, IMHO we should be able
> to release 3.2 beta as it is now.
>
> Could we have a little vote on this?
>
> Thanks!

+1

Re: 3.2

Posted by Jim Gallacher <jg...@sympatico.ca>.
Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Jim Gallacher wrote:
>
>> I don't want to leave req_get_session in as-is since people may start
>> using it which would make things difficult if the final solution ends
>> up being something completely different. Rather than delete
>> req_get_session() completely I'd like to change it to
>> raise a NotImplemented error. That way there is starting point for 3.3
>> but nobody will depend on it actually being there. Does this seem
>> reasonable?
>

> +1
>
> Grisha

I've commited this change. get_session implementation will be deferred
to 3.3.

Jim

Re: 3.2

Posted by "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gr...@ispol.com>.

Re: 3.2

Posted by Jim Gallacher <jg...@sympatico.ca>.
Nicolas Lehuen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've marked #45 as resolved, since the FileSession class has been
> checked in for a while now. We only need a bit of documentation, but a
> few seconds of source browsing can help an adventurous user to see how
> to use FileSession. Now, what should we do about the new
> req.get_session() API ? Is it ready for release now ?

No. Graham has raised some valid concerns about the current
implentation. See http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MODPYTHON-59

I haven't had time to address these issues properly, and I'd rather see
it pushed into 3.3 rather than release a half-baked solution in 3.2.

I don't want to leave req_get_session in as-is since people may start
using it which would make things difficult if the final solution ends up
being something completely different. Rather than delete
req_get_session() completely I'd like to change it to
raise a NotImplemented error. That way there is starting point for 3.3
but nobody will depend on it actually being there. Does this seem
reasonable?

Regards,
Jim

Re: 3.2

Posted by dharana <dh...@dharana.net>.
As a non-developer, just as an user:

+1

--
dharana

Re: 3.2

Posted by Nicolas Lehuen <ni...@gmail.com>.
OK, +1 for me.

Regards,
Nicolas

Re: 3.2

Posted by Jim Gallacher <jg...@sympatico.ca>.
Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Jim Gallacher wrote:
>
>> I've either commited fixes or have fixes ready for 6 or 8 of those
>> issues. Also there some that don't apply to 3.2 (eg website or mailing
>> list issues). Must run right now but will make a list this evening of
>> issues which can be closed.
>

> Do you think you'll be able to create a tgz file? It would really be
> fantastic if someone other than me could do it.
>
> Grisha

Yes I can do that. I've already done a couple of dry runs with good
success.

Jim

Re: 3.2

Posted by "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gr...@ispol.com>.

Re: 3.2 - resolved issues

Posted by Jim Gallacher <jg...@sympatico.ca>.
Nicolas Lehuen wrote:

Hi Nicolas,

Could you mark these issues as resolved as well?

Potential deadlock in psp cache.
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MODPYTHON-69

Add configure --with-max-locks option to set MAX_LOCKS.
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MODPYTHON-70
(We can create a new issue to add this functionality to setup.py if you
like).

Thanks,
Jim

Re: 3.2

Posted by Jim Gallacher <jg...@sympatico.ca>.
Nicolas,

I should have mentioned that I would like you to mark them as resolved,
but you have anyway, so all is well. :)

Jim

Re: 3.2

Posted by Jim Gallacher <jg...@sympatico.ca>.

Re: 3.2

Posted by Graham Dumpleton <gr...@dscpl.com.au>.
A prerequisite for full JIRA access is probably going to be sending in
the
ASF committers agreement. I haven't done that as yet and so don't have
SVN
access either. I am hoping that my work load will drop after I take a
holiday in September and I'll be able to finally start taking a more
direct
hands on role and get the committers agreement submitted etc.

Re: 3.2

Posted by Nicolas Lehuen <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jim,

Re: 3.2

Posted by Nicolas Lehuen <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Graham,

Apart from the fact that it is a third way to import modules, I don't see
any problem with the new importing system, as it fixes a lot of bugs while
not touching anything on the apache.import_module side. We have agreed, I
think, that we should not make mod_python.publisher.get_page() public, so
that we don't confuse people needlessly. In fact I've just commented it out
of the source code.

The only problem that the new importing introduces, is that if you use
apache.import_module to import a published module, you get another module
instance than the one mod_python.publisher uses (because the publisher has
his own module cache, distinct from sys.modules).

This means that you cannot properly share data from a published module if
the module which needs the data uses apache.import_module. That's why I
introduced mod_python.publisher.get_page(). But that was a bad idea, since
it introduced a third way to import module, on top of the standard import
keyword and the apache.import_module() function.

Then again, this is a pretty far corner case, which would be annoying only
for threaded MPM for people who have the very bad idea to use published
modules as repositories for shared application data (whereas such data
should be stored in statically loaded modules for now, until
apache.import_module works properly). For any other way to use mod_python,
the new publisher system is perfectly usable AND solves a lot of annoying
problems.

I totally agree that all this is sub-optimal and that we should have a major
overhaul of the importing system, along the guidelines you gave in your
excellent article. But for the 3.2 release, I really think we can get half
way to a correct system by keeping the current apache.import_module and
using the new mod_python.publisher importing system. Let's do the complete
right thing for the 3.3 release.

In any case, reverting mod_python.publisher back to using
apache.import_module is quite easy, so if you guys want me to do it, no
problem, I'll do it.

Regards,
Nicolas

Re: 3.2

Posted by Graham Dumpleton <gr...@dscpl.com.au>.

Re: 3.2

Posted by "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gr...@ispol.com>.

Re: 3.2

Posted by Jim Gallacher <jg...@sympatico.ca>.
Jim Gallacher wrote:
> Jim Gallacher wrote:
>
>> Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:

>>> My inclanation is to just release whatever we have, and mark it as a
>>> beta release. The last "true" release was 3.1.3 in Feb 2004, which
>>> makes it 18 months (if my math is correct)....
>>>
>>> Grisha
>>>

>> I've either commited fixes or have fixes ready for 6 or 8 of those
>> issues. Also there some that don't apply to 3.2 (eg website or mailing
>> list issues). Must run right now but will make a list this evening of
>> issues which can be closed.
>>
>> Jim
>>

> Here is my list. I think you can close all of these JIRA issues except
> MODPYTHON-52.

That should read:
"Here is my list. I think you can close all of these JIRA issues except
MODPYTHON-59."

Not sure how *that* typo crept in. 2 is nowhere near 9 on the keyboard.

Jim

Re: 3.2

Posted by Jim Gallacher <jg...@sympatico.ca>.

Re: 3.2