Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net> on 2007/10/11 17:19:16 UTC

Build issue with trunk - build hangs

I'm consistently hitting a build hang with trunk that I can't get past.
   Is anybody else hitting these problems or does anybody know what
might be going wrong?  Perhaps I need to bump up the MaxPermSize?

The build hangs when I get to building the car-maven-plugin.  This is on
  OpenSUSE 10.2 with maven 2.0.7 (although I had the failures first with
2.0.5 and moving to 2.0.7 didn't change the results) and Sun JDK 1.5.0_11.

My MAVEN_OPTS are set to:
"-XX:MaxPermSize=128m -Xms512m -Xmx512m"

Here's the last thing I always see:
  T E S T S
Running org.apache.geronimo.mavenplugins.car.PlanProcessorMojoTest
Tests run: 2, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.6 sec
Running org.apache.geronimo.mavenplugins.car.PluginMetadataTest
Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.691 sec

Results :

[INFO] [jar:jar]
[INFO] Building jar:
/home/jbohn/geronimo/maven-plugins/car-maven-plugin/target/car-maven-plugin-2.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
[INFO] [plugin:addPluginArtifactMetadata]
[INFO] [shitty:install {execution: default}]
[INFO] Installing
/home/jbohn/geronimo/maven-plugins/car-maven-plugin/target/car-maven-plugin-2.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
/home/jbohn/.m2/repository/org/apache/geronimo/plugins/car-maven-plugin/2.1-SNAPSHOT/car-maven-plugin-2.1-SNAPSHOT.jar

Re: Build issue with trunk - build hangs

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
I had to use the MaxPermSize of 256m on RedHat for this to work.

On Windows, my mavenrc_pre.bat had some settings that I had to remove.
Now it works fine with just 128M

Cheers
Prasad

Posted by Shiva Kumar H R <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.
Now that you mention it, I think I also had some problems with nohup
but it was quite a while ago... I just switched to "screen" instead.
It works well for me.

Jarek

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
Joe,

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Oct 16, 2007, at 10:55 AM, Jarek Gawor wrote:

> Maybe try getting a thread dump while the process appears to be
> hanging (kill -QUIT <jvm process>). That might give a clue on what's
> going on.

You can also try tracking memory utilization (since there have been
multiple reports of needing more memory...) --

-verbose:gc -XX:+PrintGCDetails

--kevan

Re: Build issue with trunk - build hangs

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by "Erik B. Craig" <gi...@gmail.com>.
Joe,