Posted to dev@pig.apache.org by Paul O'Leary <po...@quantivo.com> on 2008/10/07 02:56:57 UTC

RE: DISTINCT Problem

Hi Olga et al,

I have made a little progress in figuring out what's going on for me
with the types branch.

When 'test\utils\dotGraph\parser\Dot.jj' is generated the first line of
the generated file looks like this:

/*@bgen(jjtree) Generated By:JJTree: Do not edit this line.
C:\dev\pig\test\org\apache\pig\test\utils\dotGraph\parser\Dot.jj */
/*@egen*/options {

Long story short it chokes - believe it or not - on the '\u' of
'...test\utils...' because it thinks it's a Unicode character.  I
believe this is a known issue with Java compilation and it explains why
it seems to be a Windows-only problem.

Don't know what the 'fix' is for this (other than getting off Windows)
but I can work around the problem by whacking the JJ file directly.

However, when I do this (on the types branch) I seem to see a problem
where I can't execute any commands from the grunt shell.  Every command
fails immediately with a parse error:

2008-10-06 17:51:31,421 [main] INFO
org.apache.pig.backend.hadoop.executionengi
ne.HExecutionEngine - Connecting to map-reduce job tracker at:
localhost:9001
grunt> ls
org.apache.pig.tools.pigscript.parser.ParseException: Encountered "l" at
line 1,
 column 1.
Was expecting one of:
    <EOF>
    "cat" ...
    "cd" ...
<snip>

Don't know if this is related to the same issue above or caused by my
having to whack the file or what...?

Anyway, this all goes back to the DISTINCT problem I was seeing.  I'd be
happy to try to recreate the problem on the types branch if I can get it
built or someone can provide me with a JAR to test with.

Thanks,
PaulO.

Posted by Paul O'Leary <po...@quantivo.com>.
Olga,

Never saw any JAR file come through... lost in the mail?

Could you please try again?  Happy to test this on my end.

Cheers,
PaulO.

Did you try the jar file that I sent you?

Olga

RE: DISTINCT Problem

Posted by Olga Natkovich <ol...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Hi Paul,