Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by Kristian Köhler <Kr...@gmx.de> on 2008/07/14 07:46:13 UTC

Integration tests for SM 3 and 4

Hi

I think i should start with my initial intention: The idea was to update
the geronimo dependencies. Currently ServiceMix uses version 2.0.1, the
actual released geronimo version is 2.1.1. So I start to change the poms
accordingly.
The libraries are used in some components which are also used within SM3
and SM4. But I wasn't sure if the changes breaks the build or stop the
distributions to work (either for SM3/SM4 or both).

So I started to set up a integration test scenario. I implemented a
cargo servicemix plugin by which the distribution might be tested. The
plugin starts the distribution, deploys an JBI artifact, tests the
artifact and shuts down the distribution.
(http://cargo.codehaus.org/)

The idea is to set up intgeration tests for SM3 and SM4. These should
test the components and the distribution as a whole. So we could
determine if a component might be executed in SM3 and/or SM4. Hopefully
this solves me initial problem... ;-)

In contrast to the actual itests for SM3, this solution tests the
shipped distribution of servicemix.

The current implementation works with ServiceMix 3.2.1. There is also a
sample project included which showns the plugin. I will commit it to the
sandbox section...

Comments, ideas? ;-)

Kristian

--
GASwerk - Geronimo Application Server Assemblies
http://gaswerk.sourceforge.net

Re: Integration tests for SM 3 and 4

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 11:46 PM, Kristian Köhler
<Kr...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I think i should start with my initial intention: The idea was to update the
> geronimo dependencies. Currently ServiceMix uses version 2.0.1, the actual
> released geronimo version is 2.1.1. So I start to change the poms
> accordingly.
> The libraries are used in some components which are also used within SM3 and
> SM4. But I wasn't sure if the changes breaks the build or stop the
> distributions to work (either for SM3/SM4 or both).
>
> So I started to set up a integration test scenario. I implemented a cargo
> servicemix plugin by which the distribution might be tested. The plugin
> starts the distribution, deploys an JBI artifact, tests the artifact and
> shuts down the distribution.
> (http://cargo.codehaus.org/)
>
> The idea is to set up intgeration tests for SM3 and SM4. These should test
> the components and the distribution as a whole. So we could determine if a
> component might be executed in SM3 and/or SM4. Hopefully this solves me
> initial problem... ;-)
>
> In contrast to the actual itests for SM3, this solution tests the shipped
> distribution of servicemix.
>
> The current implementation works with ServiceMix 3.2.1. There is also a
> sample project included which showns the plugin. I will commit it to the
> sandbox section...
>
> Comments, ideas? ;-)

I really like the idea of rolled up integration testing. I have felt
that we needed this from the moment that the components were split
from the trunk but nobody has had the time to work it. I also think
using Cargo is a good choice as long as it will work with both SMX 3
and SMX 4.

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/