Posted to dev@training.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2020/09/22 07:17:36 UTC

[DRAFT] Apache Training (incubating) granted all Apache committers commit rights

Hi all,

we, the Apache Training PPMC, would like to tell you about the Apache Training (incubating) project.

We at Apache build all sorts of great software. Some people even execute trainings for Apache projects.
With the enormous pace most of the projects are on the way, it’s almost impossible to keep training material up-to-date.
And even if you might know a given project, preparing training material might be a little too much.
Also even if you are a great coder, whipping up presentations might not be your favorite thing to do.

Apache Training was created especially to help with all of this.

We created a framework for simply writing presentations in a way they can be easily created, versioned, branched, tagged whatsoever.

We would like to make Apache Training the place you look first if you are in need for Apache related training or presentation material.

As you probably know your projects best, who would be better suited to actually help with creating this material, if not you?

That’s why the Apache Training PPMC has turned on the commit permissions for all Apache committers.

We trust that you will use these rights wisely. However we do have one restriction:
If you want to contribute to the fundamental presentation framework and the tooling, please use PRs.
But when it comes to content, feel free to add and/or edit your projects under as you want:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-training/tree/develop/content

To get you started in no-time, we provide Maven archetypes for generating your presentation skeleton.
In order to use this please just run:

mvn archetype:generate -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.training -DarchetypeArtifactId=content-archetype -DarchetypeVersion=1.0.0

This will ask you for a group-id, artifact-id, version and a package-name and as soon as you have provided them, will generate your new presentation.

In order to now build the presentation, change into the freshly created directory and run:

mvn package

You can then run your presentation by opening the following file in your browser:

target/generated-slides/index.html

We hope Apache Training will help you and your projects.

The Apache Training (incubating) PPMC

Re: [DRAFT] Apache Training (incubating) granted all Apache committers commit rights

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
And done ... let's see if this brings life back into this project (

Chris

Am 27.09.20, 01:04 schrieb "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com>:

    Hi,

    > So where should we post this?
    > - members
    > - comdev
    > - incubator-general
    > - …

    I’d go with comdev and incubator general.

    Thanks,
    Justin

Re: [DRAFT] Apache Training (incubating) granted all Apache committers commit rights

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi all,

so a little push on the infra list got the issue resolved ... now all Apache committers can commit to our repo.
However this only works on gitbox ... on github it seems to not be possible to set this up.

So where should we post this?
- members
- comdev
- incubator-general
- ...
- ???

Anyway ... So the final version of the email would then be:

We, the Apache Training PPMC, would like to tell you about an important
update by which you can promote & train people on your Apache project:
We're opening up commit access to all Apache committers.

We at Apache build all sorts of great software. Some people even create
training projects for Apache projects.
With the enormous pace of most of the projects, it's almost impossible to
keep training material up-to-date.
And even if you might know a given project, preparing training material
might be too much.
Also, even if you are a great coder, whipping up cool presentations might
not be your favourite thing to do.

Apache Training was created especially to help with all of this.

We created a framework for creating presentations in a coder friendly way
with features like versioning, tagging etc.
It is a RevealJS based presentation-framework using Asciidoctor; A
Markdown-like format but with a lot more control over the output and
additional features.
The primary supported build system is Maven. However, if you prefer, you
can also build your presentation with Ruby and Node.JS (The latter two are
still experimental).

The output is a Browser-based presentation with a dedicated speaker view,
which also allows exporting your presentation into PDF format for
distribution.

We would like to make Apache Training the place you look first if you are
in need of Apache related training or presentation material.

As you probably know your projects best, who would be better suited to help
with creating this material, if not you?

*Important Update*
That's why the Apache Training PPMC has turned on the commit permissions
for all Apache committers.

We trust that you will use these rights wisely. However, we do have one
restriction:
If you want to contribute to the fundamental presentation framework and the
tooling, please use PRs.
But when it comes to content, feel free to add and/or edit content for your
projects inside the 'content' directory as you see fit.
Please however exercise common sense about whether or not a PR is
appropriate, when changing content that other people created.

Note:
It seems that we can only grant all committers commit access on gitbox
and not on Github, so be sure to set our gitbox repo as "upstream" when
trying to commit:
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-training.git

*Please see this link for samples*
https://github.com/apache/incubator-training/tree/develop/content <
https://github.com/apache/incubator-training/tree/develop/content>

*Easy Steps to Create a Presentation*
To get you started in no-time, we provide Maven archetypes for generating
your presentation skeleton. In order to use this please just run:

mvn archetype:generate -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.training
-DarchetypeArtifactId=content-archetype -DarchetypeVersion=1.0.0

This will ask you for a group-id, artifact-id, version and a package-name
and as soon as you have provided them, will generate your new presentation.

To now build the presentation, change into the freshly created directory
and run:

mvn package

You can then run your presentation by opening the following file in your
browser:

target/generated-slides/index.html

We hope Apache Training will help you and your projects.

*The Apache Training (incubating) PPMC*

Am 23.09.20, 21:44 schrieb "Christofer Dutz" <ch...@c-ware.de>:

    Hi Lars,

    indeed this could be a nice intro to the email ... currently still waiting for the jira to be processed ...
    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-20879?filter=-2

    Chris

    Am 23.09.20, 18:51 schrieb "Lars Francke" <la...@gmail.com>:

        Hi all,

        I think this looks great.
        The only addition I'd make is to start with the change.
        Something along the lines of:

        We, the Apache Training PPMC, would like to tell you about an important
        update by which you can promote & train people on your Apache project:
        We're opening up commit access to all Apache committers.

        Just as a teaser to keep on reading. But I'm also fine without a tagline
        like that.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Lars,

Posted by Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by gautam gupta <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hey Chris,

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
So bringing things back together we now have:

We, the Apache Training PPMC, would like to tell you about the Apache Training (incubating) project.

We at Apache build all sorts of great software. Some people even create training projects for Apache projects.
With the enormous pace of most the projects, it's almost impossible to keep training material up-to-date.
And even if you might know a given project, preparing training material might be too much.
Also, even if you are a great coder, whipping up presentations might not be your favourite thing to do.

Apache Training was created especially to help with all of this.

We created a framework for simply writing presentations in a way they can be easily created, versioned, branched, tagged whatsoever.
It's generally a RevealJS based presentation-framework using Asciidoctor (A Markdown-like format but with a lot more control over the output and additional features).
The primary supported build system is Maven. However, if you prefer, you can also build your presentation with Ruby and Node.JS (The latter two are still experimental).

The output is a Browser-based presentation with a dedicated speaker view, which also allows exporting your presentation into PDF format for distribution.

We would like to make Apache Training the place you look first if you are in need of Apache related training or presentation material.

As you probably know your projects best, who would be better suited to help with creating this material, if not you?

That's why the Apache Training PPMC has turned on the commit permissions for all Apache committers.

We trust that you will use these rights wisely. However, we do have one restriction:
If you want to contribute to the fundamental presentation framework and the tooling, please use PRs.
But when it comes to content, feel free to add and/or edit content for your projects inside the 'content' directory as you see fit.
Please however exercise common sense about whether or not a PR is appropriate, when changing content that other people created.

Please see:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-training/tree/develop/content <https://github.com/apache/incubator-training/tree/develop/content>
For examples.

To get you started in no-time, we provide Maven archetypes for generating your presentation skeleton.
In order to use this please just run:

mvn archetype:generate -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.training -DarchetypeArtifactId=content-archetype -DarchetypeVersion=1.0.0

This will ask you for a group-id, artifact-id, version and a package-name and as soon as you have provided them, will generate your new presentation.

To now build the presentation, change into the freshly created directory and run:

mvn package

You can then run your presentation by opening the following file in your browser:

target/generated-slides/index.html

We hope Apache Training will help you and your projects.

The Apache Training (incubating) PPMC

Am 22.09.20, 17:18 schrieb "Sönke Liebau" <so...@opencore.com.INVALID>:

    Perfect!

Posted by Sönke Liebau <so...@opencore.com.INVALID>.
Perfect!

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Sure ... sounds like a good idea.

Posted by Sönke Liebau <so...@opencore.com.INVALID>.
Thanks Chris, sounds great!!

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Filling in Justin's suggestions:

-----------------------

[...]

The primary supported build system is Maven, but you can also build your presentation with Ruby and Node.JS, if you prefer this (The latter two still being experimental however).

The output is a Browser-based presentation with dedicated speaker view, which also allows exporting your presentation into PDF format for distribution.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi

May want to mention:
- slide format is markdown like  (with extra features)
- can show slides in a browser to generate a pdf
- ruby and node.js can also be used to generate your presentation but are experimental

Thanks,
Justin