Posted to user@tuscany.apache.org by devilpump <de...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/16 00:12:18 UTC

Dynamic reloading of SCA Config

Does the SCA Spec and or Tuscany allow dynamic modification of the
sca config?
Say for instance I wanted a client app to point at a different
location for a web service it is consuming.   Is it possible to
change the wsdl and sca.module files at runtime without forcing
tomcat to reload the app?   Does the SCA make any mention of changing
bindings at runtime?  I haven't seen anything, but thought I'd ask.

Cheers,
Raf Ali

Re: Dynamic reloading of SCA Config

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
The quick answer is not yet.

The longer answer is, yes this is definitely one of the goals of SCA
and for Tuscany (at least as I see it). The idea behind SCA assembly
is to create a logical model of the services that are in use in a
domain and the connections between them. This is an "SCA System" and
is about a domain of control rather than a physical machine or
collection of machines.

Once we have this model, the runtimes that physically form up the
system can coordinate the services present and how they interact. The
assembly represents the user's intentions for service provision and
consumption and can be manipulated to ensure those intentions are
fulfilled (within the constraints imposed for example through
policy). When the user changes the assembly, the underlying platforms
respond to those changes.

How they do that depends on the runtimes. At the moment, Tuscany's
runtime platforms are fairly simple - what we have so far is a basic
command line client and a simple in-webapp server. Neither of those
is actually in control of its environment and able to respond without
restarting. In other words, a SCA composite running in a webapp is
connected to remote webservice using an address that can only be
changed by redeploying the webapp. How dynamic that is is down to the
webapp container and for Tomcat the default is not very (you need to
reload the app).

One of the things I'd like to tackle in the next release is making
this more dynamic. This would mean developing runtime platforms that
can respond to changes made by the user without outage of service
unless necessary. For a "legacy" server like the ones above, the only
way we may be able to do it is through redeploying/reloading an
application. The more dynamic ones would support some form of
administration service that allows them to be reconfigured on the fly.

We have support for this in the core runtime already - you are able
programmatically to remove/reload/reconfigure services as needed.
What we are missing is the management services that expose this
function to end users.

--
Jeremy