Posted to dev@solr.apache.org by Mike Drob <md...@apache.org> on 2022/01/12 15:59:50 UTC

[DISCUSS] Mark Rate Limiting as Experimental for Solr 9.0

Howdy folks,

After finding two quick bugs in the rate limiting code[1][2], I suspect
that this feature has largely gone untested in our code up until now. I
also looked at TestRequestRateLimiter and at least locally I'm getting a
lot of EofException in the logs, which I think is unintended. This might be
easy to fix as well, but I don't know what the next bug will be if we keep
going down this path.

I think Atri has mentioned that he was using a version of this feature with
8.x, but there's probably been some divergence between the two
implementations. Maybe we can get interested folks to try it with 9.0 and
then I have high confidence we can get it stable in time for 9.1? I do not
think reverting the feature is necessary, and it should stay in the code.

Thoughts?
Mike

[1]: https://github.com/apache/solr/pull/516
[2]: https://github.com/apache/solr/pull/505

Re: [DISCUSS] Mark Rate Limiting as Experimental for Solr 9.0

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
Perhaps we need a dev-docs/alpha-beta-ga.adoc which lays out how developers should tag and document a feature/module as alpha or beta quality, what kind of logging it requires, perhaps it requires adding a -Dsolr.myfeature.enable=true if it is in solr-core, @lucene-experimental annotations etc. Then once we feel it is mature, lay out how we graduate it, with some publicity in the ReleaseNotes saying "Feature XYZ is now gratudated from beta to GA, meaning bla bla bla".

Jan

Posted by Mike Drob <md...@mdrob.com>.

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>.
+1 as well, I only discovered it because I saw the fixes that Mike made!

> On Jan 13, 2022, at 3:43 AM, Bruno Roustant <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> +1
> It will allow folks to try it (me included?)
>
> Bruno
>
> Le mer. 12 janv. 2022 à 17:00, Mike Drob <mdrob@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>> a écrit :
> Howdy folks,
>
> After finding two quick bugs in the rate limiting code[1][2], I suspect that this feature has largely gone untested in our code up until now. I also looked at TestRequestRateLimiter and at least locally I'm getting a lot of EofException in the logs, which I think is unintended. This might be easy to fix as well, but I don't know what the next bug will be if we keep going down this path.
>
> I think Atri has mentioned that he was using a version of this feature with 8.x, but there's probably been some divergence between the two implementations. Maybe we can get interested folks to try it with 9.0 and then I have high confidence we can get it stable in time for 9.1? I do not think reverting the feature is necessary, and it should stay in the code.
>
> Thoughts?
> Mike
>
> [1]: https://github.com/apache/solr/pull/516 <https://github.com/apache/solr/pull/516>
> [2]: https://github.com/apache/solr/pull/505 <https://github.com/apache/solr/pull/505>
Eric Pugh | Founder & CEO | OpenSource Connections, LLC | 434.466.1467 | http://www.opensourceconnections.com <http://www.opensourceconnections.com/> | My Free/Busy <http://tinyurl.com/eric-cal>
Co-Author: Apache Solr Enterprise Search Server, 3rd Ed <https://www.packtpub.com/big-data-and-business-intelligence/apache-solr-enterprise-search-server-third-edition-raw>
This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless of whether attachments are marked as such.

Re: [DISCUSS] Mark Rate Limiting as Experimental for Solr 9.0

Posted by Bruno Roustant <br...@gmail.com>.
+1