Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Crooke <da...@convio.com> on 2001/04/07 18:57:42 UTC

Re: Tomcat3.2+Redhat 7.0+glibc-2.x.x+jdk1.x == stable??

The glibc that RH7 shipped with was beta and very broken - you need to apply their patch set. Red Hat rushed their 7.0 release, breaking their
convention (major version = new Linux kernel) and a lot of stuff besides. Most of the new stuff in it is GUI related, and as such you may be
better sticking with 6.2 for server use.

Depending on what your code does, you may get better performance from a green threads VM - with 1.3 these are starting to go away; you can still
get green threads with the Sun JDK using --classic but I believe it hobbles HotSpot. We still run 1.2.2 in production and are evaluating the 1.3
VM's for stability.

Like most open source projects, Apache stuff comes from a Unix heritage, and while you can shoehorn it onto Windows, you will have a much easier
life if you stick with Linux. Just check this newsgroup - 90% of the traffic is "I can't get x, y or z to work on NT"

RE: database access problem

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
I dont think its the SQL statement thats causing your grief.

RE: database access problem

Posted by Adam Fowler <af...@cc.edu>.
MS SQL Server 7.0 and above definitely do support the AS keyword, not sure
about oracle.
E.g.:-

SELECT MAX(cutomerID) AS MaxID FROM tblCustomer

Regards,
Adam.

Colorado here I come...

----
Adam Fowler
Second year Computer Science undergraduate
University of Wales, Aberystwyth
Carroll College, WI, USA(2000-2001)
web: http://gucciboy.dyndns.org/aff9
e-mail: adamfowler@chillin.co.uk
"Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end"
----

database access problem

Posted by Steve Ruby <st...@rubysolutions.com>.
I've had no problem with IBM JDK 1.3.0 on redhat 6.1 with glibc 2.1.3
kernel 2.2.12 I posted some tests a while back with multi threaded
(multi machine) load testing, I had some problems with tomcat 4
at the time but I 3.2 was fine.

I'm currently setting up a redhat 7 machine glibc 2.2 IBM 1.3.0 I
haven't run much load testing on it so far, have you tried the
newler glibc on your redhat 7 machine?