Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Peng Tuck Kwok <pe...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/04 10:48:52 UTC

Re: Why GlassFish

Johnny, you're having way too much fun :D .
Sam to answer your question, tomcat simply is the reference implementation
of servlet and jsp specification from Sun (and a damn fine one at that
too).

Glassfish like other comparable app servers out there implement the JEE
specification (well whichever they are targeting) and as such they do much
more (as required by the spec).

Probably some confusion arises when you find that they can both do servlets
and jsp (web applications). This is because the app servers should provide
that feature.

So if you're looking to do ejb's a full blown app server would serve you
well. If you get by fine with just servlets+jsp+other frameworks thrown in
then tomcat is pretty suitable for you as well.

HIH

Re: Why GlassFish

Posted by Peng Tuck Kwok <pe...@gmail.com>.
Meh, need to check tomcat more often :P

Re: Why GlassFish

Posted by Jack Woehr <ja...@well.com>.
Leon Rosenberg wrote:
> Still, tomcat is the better implementation, simply because it doesn't
> have all the ejb stuff :-)

I rise to agree with Leon. The reason I'm using Tomcat right now
(and pestering the list with build questions, thanks for the help) is that
it's simpler. I'm not /interested/ in application servers. I just /need/
one.

NetBeans supporting Tomcat closes the loop for me.

Thanks to the committers and architects for a manageable piece of open
source.

--
Jack J. Woehr            # "Self-delusion is
http://www.well.com/~jax #  half the battle!"

Re: Why GlassFish

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <ro...@googlemail.com>.