Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> on 2009/05/12 10:38:37 UTC

[2.x] What will be in 2.x M3?

Hi

2.x is becoming active again so what are people hoping to get done for
M3? I'm interested in continuing to enhance the level of OASIS support
we have so to that end I took a look at the OSOA vs OASIS page [1] to
try and identify the big items that need fixing. The following jump
out...

Assembly - based on spec JIRA [2]
    ASSEMBLY-1 / ASSEMBLY-17 / ASSEMBLY-57
      All about sorting out reference resolution (implies finishing up
our endpoint support)

    ASSEMBLY-8 Artifact resolution
      Pushes us to finish tidying our contribution workspace re-factoring

    ASSEMBLY-79 wireFormat/operationSelector
      Need to bring in binding wire support from 1.x
      Could bring in binding.jms or

    OASIS also have the spec compliance tests done now so we can
exploit those to see how many we could get running. I know Kelvin has
been trying them out but I don't know how many need to be fixed.

Other things that have been bouncing around the list recently and
which would be good to get on with....

Binding.ws
     A reorg here has just been mentioned on another thread and would
motivate us to bring in the binding wire and also get policy working.

Java - spec only just going out now so no tests yet
  SCA client
   API changes and simplification

Policy
   Model is in place
   Runtime code needs doing

Other
  Error handling
     I notice from some of his recent posts that Mike is getting
frustrated by the lack of context we provide in out error messages,
i.e. which composite/component/binding etc. is being processed.
     Now would be a good time to improve that
     We could also take the opportunity to refresh the validation
tests and locate then with the module being tested rather than being
in one large itest.

  Backward compatibility
     I've just started to look at this again to see what we could do.

Anything here that sparks your interest? Alternatively what other
things would be good to get into M3?

Simon

[1] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANYWIKI/OSOA+SCA+vs+OASIS+SCA
[2] http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY

Re: [2.x] What will be in 2.x M3?

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com>.
I haven't really looked at stest much.  I have been running the otests
in eclipse,  but they require a good deal of hand customisation of the
eclipse environment at the moment to get them going.  I will post what
needs to be done to make them work in eclipse.

---
Kelvin.

Re: [2.x] What will be in 2.x M3?

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 8:50 AM, ant elder<an...@apache.org> wrote:

> How about also moving these ones to contrib for now:
>
>  binding-dwr/
>  binding-dwr-runtime/
>  binding-jsonrpc/
>  binding-rest/
>  binding-rest-runtime/
>  binding-ws-jaxws/
>
> The idea being that regularly moving unfinished and inactive things to
> contrib will help keep the main trunk clean, and if there are no
> barriers to moving back to trunk no one should mind?
>
> (that still leaves binding-jsonp and wicket unfinished in trunk but i
> am still slowly working on those)
>
>   ...ant

I've don that now.

   ...ant

Re: [2.x] What will be in 2.x M3?

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Re: [2.x] What will be in 2.x M3?

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 8:25 AM, ant elder<an...@apache.org> wrote:

> What about the*-osoa modules (assembly-xml-osoa, assembly-xsd-osoa,
> binding-sca-xml-osoa, sca-api-osoa, implementation-java-xml-osoa)? If
> we're not going to embed support for both spec versions in the 2.x
> runtime now how about moving these to contrib too?

And thats done now too.

   ...ant

Re: [2.x] What will be in 2.x M3?

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Re: [2.x] What will be in 2.x M3?

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Re: [2.x] What will be in 2.x M3?

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Re: [2.x] What will be in 2.x M3?

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Re: [2.x] What will be in 2.x M3?

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Re: [2.x] What will be in 2.x M3?

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: [2.x] What will be in 2.x M3?

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: [2.x] What will be in 2.x M3?

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 7:02 PM, ant elder<an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Simon Laws<si...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I think I've done enough with Endpoints for M3 now. I don't have a
>> clean build yet due to this NPE in schema reading but other than that
>> I'm done.
>>
>> Not got remote binding.sca up and running yet so that will have to
>> wait until next time.
>>
>> Simon
>>

> Ok i plan to take the M3 release branch shortly then.
>
>   ...ant

The M3 branch is looking pretty good to me, I'll create an RC1 on
Thursday morning, feel welcome to do any reviews and release checking
in the mean time. If you're checking in anything to the branch please
try to be careful of dependency/license/build breaks etc.

  ...ant

Re: [2.x] What will be in 2.x M3?

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: [2.x] What will be in 2.x M3?

Re: [2.x] What will be in 2.x M3?

Posted by Ramkumar R <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ant,

I have checked-in code for the "ASSEMBLY-8 Artifact resolution" using
TUSCANY-3079.

Please include them for M3.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Ramkumar Ramalingam

Re: [2.x] What will be in 2.x M3?

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Re: [2.x] What will be in 2.x M3?

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Re: [2.x] What will be in 2.x M3?

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Simon Laws<si...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 10:49 AM, ant elder<an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 9:54 AM, ant elder<an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Smashing. How about aiming for taking an M3 release branch about the
>>> 12th, so Friday after next, which should let us get an M3 out the
>>> following week.
>>>

>> How is everyone going with M3 work, is it ready to take the branch
>> now? Or tomorrow? Or need a few more days?
>>
>> (Once the branch is taken we'll still be able to merge new changes
>> from trunk to the branch for a couple more days till its close to
>> making RC1)
>>
>>   ...ant
>>

> It depends how much we want to have working. Hoping to bring up dome
> more tests today to reinstate callbacks over web services. Also
> working through removing the now redundant code. Haven't done endpoint
> reference serialization yet so passing callable reference over the
> wire won't work (we haven't put those tests in 2.x yet) and on this
> point I think we should move up to the OASIS APSI which changes the
> nature of ServiceReference and removed CallableReference.
>
> Remind me what part of the endpoint story you need working for the
> webapp work you're doing?
>
> Simon

Whats there now is enough to get the simple scenario working of a
webapp with an implementation.web component talking to an
implementation.java component in a separate contribution (so two
nodes, one for the webapp and another for the other contribution).

Re: [2.x] What will be in 2.x M3?

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Re: [2.x] What will be in 2.x M3?

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: [2.x] What will be in 2.x M3?

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 9:54 AM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 12:43 PM, Ramkumar R <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to take up ASSEMBLY-8 Artifact resolution and get it done for
>> M3.
>>

> Smashing. How about aiming for taking an M3 release branch about the
> 12th, so Friday after next, which should let us get an M3 out the
> following week.
>
>   ...ant

Sounds like a good target to me.

Simon

Re: [2.x] What will be in 2.x M3?

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: [2.x] What will be in 2.x M3?

Posted by Ramkumar R <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I would like to take up ASSEMBLY-8 Artifact resolution and get it done for
M3.

Is anyone already started working on this item, please let me know.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Ramkumar Ramalingam

Re: [2.x] What will be in 2.x M3?