Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Amit Gupta <gu...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/15 00:40:44 UTC

query about PEAR installation for DUCC

Hi,

I had a query about pear installation on a "headless" system via the
command line.
I dont see any instructions in the documentation on how to proceed.

Specifically, I'm attempting to run the Raw Text Processing example
documented in the DUCC Book,
(http://uima.apache.org/d/uima-ducc-1.0.0/duccbook.html#x1-1380009)

The problematic step is "Installing the OpenNLP Pear".

Almost everywhere I have seen, it instructs the use of the GUI Installer.

DUCC Book points to the runPearInstaller script (which is strangely not
shipped with the DUCC binaries)
I managed to find it in the shipped binaries of UIMA. I set unpacked the
binaries and set up the environment as instructed in the UIMA SDK
documentation
(the script resides in $UIMA_HOME/bin) and running it fails with the
following error.

runPearInstaller.sh --help

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.awt.HeadlessException:

No X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation
which requires it.

at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.checkHeadless(GraphicsEnvironment.java:207)

at java.awt.Window.<init>(Window.java:535)

at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:420)

at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:385)

at javax.swing.JFrame.<init>(JFrame.java:174)

at
org.apache.uima.tools.pear.install.InstallPear.<init>(InstallPear.java:824)

at
org.apache.uima.tools.pear.install.InstallPear.createAndShowGUI(InstallPear.java:789)

at
org.apache.uima.tools.pear.install.InstallPear.access$1500(InstallPear.java:80)

at
org.apache.uima.tools.pear.install.InstallPear$12.run(InstallPear.java:815)

at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:312)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:733)

at java.awt.EventQueue.access$200(EventQueue.java:103)

at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:694)

at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:692)

at
java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:76)

at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:242)

at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:161)

at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:150)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:146)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:138)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:91)

I would appreciate if someone can give me some pointers on how to proceed,
Thanks,
Best,
--
Amit Gupta

Re: query about PEAR installation for DUCC

Posted by Amit Gupta <gu...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Marshall,
I tried runPealInstallerCli instead of runPearlInstaller and it worked,

Best,
Amit

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Hi,