Posted to common-commits@hadoop.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2006/12/28 04:38:40 UTC

[Lucene-hadoop Wiki] Update of "FAQ" by OwenOMalley

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Lucene-hadoop Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by OwenOMalley:
http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-hadoop/FAQ

  [http://lucene.apache.org/hadoop/ Hadoop] is a distributed computing platform written in Java.  It incorporates features similar to those of the [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_File_System Google File System] and of [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MapReduce MapReduce].  For some details, see HadoopMapReduce.

+ == 2. What platform does Hadoop run on? ==
+
+   1. Java 1.5.x or higher, preferably from Sun
+   2. Linux and Windows are the supported operating systems, but BSD and Mac OS/X are known to work. (Windows requires the installation of [http://www.cygwin.com/ Cygwin].
+
- == 2. How well does Hadoop scale? ==
+ == 3. How well does Hadoop scale? ==

  Hadoop has been demonstrated on clusters of up to 600 nodes.  Sort performance is [http://www.mail-archive.com/hadoop-dev%40lucene.apache.org/msg01777.html good] and still improving.

- == 3. Do I have to write my application in Java? ==
+ == 4. Do I have to write my application in Java? ==

  No.  There are several ways to incorporate non-Java code.  HadoopStreaming permits any shell command to be used as a map or reduce function, and Hadoop is also developing [http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/lucene/hadoop/trunk/src/c%2B%2B/ C and C++ APIs].

- == 4. How can I help to make Hadoop better? ==
+ == 5. How can I help to make Hadoop better? ==

  If you find something that you wish were done better, and know how to fix it, read HowToContribute, and contribute a patch.

- == 5. If I add new data-nodes to the cluster will HDFS move the blocks to the newly added nodes in order to balance disk space utilization between the nodes? ==
+ == 6. If I add new data-nodes to the cluster will HDFS move the blocks to the newly added nodes in order to balance disk space utilization between the nodes? ==

  No, HDFS will not move blocks to new nodes automatically. However, newly created files will likely have their blocks placed on the new nodes.