Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by "Wetsig, Brian" <bw...@pesolutions.com> on 2000/10/05 06:18:01 UTC

RE: White Paper?

the spec is at http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP/ <http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP/>
& another article on it is at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/xml/general/soapspec.asp
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/xml/general/soapspec.asp>
-also xml.apache.org

-----Original Message-----
From: Ross Daws [mailto:ross@hubbub.com.au]
Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2000 10:14 PM
To: soap-user@xml.apache.org
Subject: White Paper?

Hi All,

I'm trying to find some sort of architecture overview / white paper /
anything that will help me understand the end-to-end function of soap... but
I don't seem to be able to find anything.

FYI I was hoping to use SOAP to put an XML interface onto my java service,
allowing it to be called from a VB client, but the examples I'm looking at
are all throwing serialized java objects back and forth (sometimes in the
form of DOM elements, but still passing Element.class along for the ride).

Am I dreaming that SOAP may fit what I'm looking for?  Can anyone point me
towards some docco that could help me straighten this out in my own mind.

Thanks,

Ross