Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Serge Huber <sh...@jahia.com> on 2003/05/09 18:46:22 UTC

License questions

Hi all,

First of all congratulations on Log4J and Chainsaw ! They are two great
tools which have really helped me through a lot of rough debugging times :)

Anyway, I have developed a small tool that integrates with the JDBC logger
called P6Spy. It has a module that supports Log4J, and can therefore be
configured to use the socket appender. My tool uses log messages sent by
P6Spy containing metrics about SQL statements, and builds statistics in
order to recommend database index creation (close to what MS SQL Profiler
does, or MyProfiler, but my tool is not database specific).

As I knew nothing of Swing programming I started out by modifying
Chainsaw's code. I had to move the classes around a bit, renaming packages
and changing some others quite significantly because I added a tabbed pane
that includes my SQL specific views. I want to release my tool using a
license based on the Apache license (hosted on SourceForge), but I am not
clear as to how to handle license issues. As some classes contain both
Chainsaw's original code (I used the source code from version 1.2.7 I
think) and my own modifications, I am not clear as to what the proper
course of action is. I have no problem at giving credit where it's due, and
I am wondering if I could just leave the files that have the Apache license
headers alone (although I have added my own classes and code), and add my
Apache-based license on my new classes. Or is it ok if I just give the
original credit in a COPYRIGHT file for all the original authors and code ?

I don't think this should be commited in Log4J because it is more P6Spy
specific than Log4J, but as I based this on Chainsaw's code to start with,
I just want to make sure everybody's cool with the release before I do it
(I have also talked to the P6Spy team).

Thanks,
   Serge Huber.

- -- --- -----=[ serge.huber at jahia dot com ]=---- --- -- -
Jahia : A collaborative source CMS and Portal Server
www.jahia.org Community and product web site
www.jahia.com Commercial services company

Re: License questions & Chainsaw

Posted by Serge Huber2 <sh...@jahia.com>.
Hi Ceki,

Thank you very much for your detailed clarifications. I am very grateful. I
will therefore add my Apache-based (Apache license with the references to
the foundation replaced with my own) to ONLY my new files, and make sure
that all the original ASF files feature the appropriate ASF headers (as
they currently do since I haven't touched the headers, only the code).

Anyway I plan to give the appropriate credits in a CREDITS file attached to
my project (and taking full blame for all the bugs introduced :)), because
I always intended to make sure that everyone get the recognition they
deserve, and that I might contribute my little bit in the process. Of
course if this work is interesting to the ASF I am completely open to
contributing it, but I think it needs to "incubate" a little first, as it
is very young (everything was coded last week :)).

If my modifications to Chainsaw are interesting to anybody here, don't
hesitate to check the code once it'll be available (I'm waiting on
SourceForge's approval for the project), but I saw that there was a lot of
work in the CVS for a new version of Chainsaw (version 2 ?) that probably
goes far beyond what I've done.

Thanks for all the help,
   Serge Huber.

Re: License questions