Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Ivan Zvolsky <i....@gmail.com> on 2007/02/16 16:20:40 UTC

[general] Harmony enabling at Windows / x86_64

Hello,

Some time ago, I found out that Harmony is not buildable on Windows / x86_64
(EM64T).
I tried to reanimate at least the build which has required to update both
classlib and drlvm build files, create stubs for some functions, etc.

I've put my results (for now only classlib part) to HARMONY-3188.
Could someone take a look? The comments are welcome.

In particular, Geir might want to look at the first comment in the
description :)

Thanks,
Ivan

Re: [general] Harmony enabling at Windows / x86_64

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gregory,

FYI the issue with manifests was fixed at the revision 511897. Thanks
for pointing this out.

Regards,

--
Alexei Zakharov,
Intel ESSD

Re: [general] Harmony enabling at Windows / x86_64

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.
I'll look at it.

--
Alexei Zakharov,
Intel ESSD

Re: [general] Harmony enabling at Windows / x86_64

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com>.

--
Gregory

Re: [general] Harmony enabling at Windows / x86_64

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.

--
Alexei Zakharov,
Intel ESSD

Re: [general] Harmony enabling at Windows / x86_64

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.

--
Alexei Zakharov,
Intel ESSD

Re: [general] Harmony enabling at Windows / x86_64

Posted by Ivan Zvolsky <i....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.

--
Alexei Zakharov,
Intel ESSD

Re: [general] Harmony enabling at Windows / x86_64

Posted by Ivan Zvolsky <i....@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.
Ivan,

--
Alexei Zakharov,
Intel ESSD

Re: [general] Harmony enabling at Windows / x86_64

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Feb 16, 2007, at 10:20 AM, Ivan Zvolsky wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Some time ago, I found out that Harmony is not buildable on Windows /
>> x86_64
>> (EM64T).
>> I tried to reanimate at least the build which has required to update both
>> classlib and drlvm build files, create stubs for some functions, etc.
>>
>> I've put my results (for now only classlib part) to HARMONY-3188.
>> Could someone take a look? The comments are welcome.
>>
>> In particular, Geir might want to look at the first comment in the
>> description :)
>
> Heh.  I can host these too, or we can find another place.

Right now they are accessible directly from JIRA like [1] from
HARMONY-3196. Is it ok to use such links?

[1]
http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12351498/zlib-x86_64-dll.zip

--
Gregory

Re: [general] Harmony enabling at Windows / x86_64

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Feb 16, 2007, at 10:20 AM, Ivan Zvolsky wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Some time ago, I found out that Harmony is not buildable on
> Windows / x86_64
> (EM64T).
> I tried to reanimate at least the build which has required to
> update both
> classlib and drlvm build files, create stubs for some functions, etc.
>
> I've put my results (for now only classlib part) to HARMONY-3188.
> Could someone take a look? The comments are welcome.
>
> In particular, Geir might want to look at the first comment in the
> description :)

Heh.  I can host these too, or we can find another place.

thanks for the patch

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Feb 20, 2007, at 7:23 AM, Gregory Shimansky wrote:
>
>> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

>>> Well... does it work?  besides the rt dll issue, what else is
>>> there?   Is nmake backwards compatible?  I thought one problem was
>>> that 2005 was missing something that 2003 had...
>>
>> I am not aware of anything missing in 2005. There are two problems
>> with it. It introduced new "secure" versions of functions like strcmp
>> and deprecated the standard C API. Including standard headers produces
>> many warnings that the functions are now deprecated. But it can be
>> worked around by adding two defines to the compiler command line to
>> make headers backwards compatible.
>
> Right - I remember that - I was trying to use 2005 a while ago, and came
> to the same conclusion.
>

>> Another problem is some new manifests stuff which I don't know very
>> well. Apparently now when linker produces a dll or exe file it also
>> creates a manifest which should be either present in the same
>> directory, or be embedded inside of the executable or dll.
>
> That seems simple enough.
>

>> Both of the above problems are probably solved in the patches by Ivan,
>> so these solutions may be applied to the x86 version as well to allow
>> people to use MSVC 2005 on plain 32-bit windows.
>>

> Lets just be sure we don't hurt the 2003 users :)

Absolutely. I just said that we could have 2005 as an option on x86
windows, not that we should switch to it.

--
Gregory

Re: [general] Harmony enabling at Windows / x86_64

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Feb 20, 2007, at 7:23 AM, Gregory Shimansky wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>>
>>> I think it would be good if we had a choice of microsoft tools
>>> version. If we can support MSVC 2005 on x86_64, why not allow to
>>> use it on x86 too? The only freely available development
>>> environment from MS site is MSVC 2005 Community Edition. So if we
>>> support it, it will help development for x86 version of windows.
>>>
>> Well... does it work?  besides the rt dll issue, what else is
>> there?   Is nmake backwards compatible?  I thought one problem was
>> that 2005 was missing something that 2003 had...
>
> I am not aware of anything missing in 2005. There are two problems
> with it. It introduced new "secure" versions of functions like
> strcmp and deprecated the standard C API. Including standard
> headers produces many warnings that the functions are now
> deprecated. But it can be worked around by adding two defines to
> the compiler command line to make headers backwards compatible.

Right - I remember that - I was trying to use 2005 a while ago, and
came to the same conclusion.

> Another problem is some new manifests stuff which I don't know very
> well. Apparently now when linker produces a dll or exe file it also
> creates a manifest which should be either present in the same
> directory, or be embedded inside of the executable or dll.

That seems simple enough.

> Both of the above problems are probably solved in the patches by
> Ivan, so these solutions may be applied to the x86 version as well
> to allow people to use MSVC 2005 on plain 32-bit windows.

Lets just be sure we don't hurt the 2003 users :)

geir

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com>.

--
Gregory

Re: [general] Harmony enabling at Windows / x86_64

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Feb 19, 2007, at 2:46 PM, Alexei Zakharov wrote:

> Hi Ivan,
>
> Thank you for doing this first of all. IMO patches look good in
> general. However, I'd like to emphasize two things (I've already told
> you in private about them) and let others to comment on it.
>
> 1. In your patch you suggest to use MSVC 2005 - msvcr80.dll is used
> instead of msvcr71.dll for example. Currently MSVC 2003 is required
> for building the classlib. However, MSVC 2005 adds extensive support
> for developing of 64bit applications and it looks like a natural
> choice for 64bit Windows platform. So am +1 for supporting both MSVCs.
> But I also would like to know if there are any other opinions.

This is only for 64bit right?

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ivan,

--
Alexei Zakharov,
Intel ESSD

Re: [general] Harmony enabling at Windows / x86_64

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Feb 19, 2007, at 11:26 AM, Gregory Shimansky wrote:

> Ivan Zvolsky wrote:
>> I have also put my efforts with drlvm building to HARMONY-3196.
>> The patch
>> makes drlvm buildable on windows/em64t (and shouldn't break
>> building on
>> other platforms).
>> It still has some things to do, which I described in subtasks for
>> HARMONY-3196.
>
> I looked at the patches and I have a question. You've added amd64
> architecture in some select statements in the build along with
> em64t flag. I thought that from the build point they are
> equivalent, and build.arch property is defined in build.xml for all
> kinds of arch (x86_64, em64t, amd64) to be equal to "em64t". Why
> add another flag in build files?

And whatever the answer turns out to be, can we instead simply settle
on x86_64 please?

geir

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Feb 20, 2007, at 7:24 AM, Gregory Shimansky wrote:
>
>> Ivan Zvolsky wrote:

>>> I can't remember why I added this. But I just tried to modify all
>>> selects
>>> like "em64t,amd64" to simply "em64t" and the build worked fine. What
>>> is the
>>> best option to do:
>>> 1) should I replace drlvm_build_system.patch with newer version?
>>> 2) or add newer version without removing the old one?
>>> 3) or prepare a patch for drlvm_build_system.patch file?
>>
>> I'll take care about it myself. I'll remove all amd64 flags.
>> Converting em64t to x86_64 may be done later separately from enabling
>> x86_64 windows.
>
> If you are going to be doing it anyway, why not convert to "x86_64"?

I'll do it but I don't want to break things right now not to break
Ivan's patches. Also I would like to change no more than needed at a time.

--
Gregory

Re: [general] Harmony enabling at Windows / x86_64

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com>.

--
Gregory

Re: [general] Harmony enabling at Windows / x86_64

Posted by Ivan Zvolsky <i....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com>.

--
Gregory

Re: [general] Harmony enabling at Windows / x86_64

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
I wonder if I can run 64-bit windows in virtualization on the
mac....  it would be nice to have others besides you able to do this.

Does anyone else run this?

geir

Posted by Ivan Zvolsky <i....@gmail.com>.