Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Rick Reumann <ma...@reumann.net> on 2002/10/22 20:14:05 UTC

[J2EE] Does struts follow Sun's Core J2EE patterns

Over lunch I was discussing struts with someone that works at another
company. He hasn't implemented struts at all but only has looked at
some articles, and doesn't see what all they 'hype' is about. In his
opinion, building a j2ee controller that follow's Sun's J2EE pattern
is not that difficult and using the JSTL he feels more comfortable
using for the view (than say struts tags). He also still questions if
it follows Sun's core J2EE patterns.

I actually explained what I thought most impressive is how the
controller relates to taking in an ActionForm. He feels this breaks
Sun's standard (although I'm not sure why.. time was short).

Does anyone have comments or links to articles where Struts is
supported by those that came up with Sun's J2EE pattern? I've been
searching Google but it's really hard to get a foothold on the best/
most pertinent stuff.

Thanks for any information anyone could provide.

--

Rick
mailto:maillist@reumann.net

Re: [J2EE] Does struts follow Sun's Core J2EE patterns

Posted by Rick Reumann <ma...@reumann.net>.
On Tuesday, October 22, 2002, 2:14:05 PM, Rick wrote:

RR> Does anyone have comments or links to articles where Struts is
RR> supported by those that came up with Sun's J2EE pattern?

    I think this link answers it all.
    http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/community/chat/JavaLive/2001/jl0424.html
    considering down on the page one of the authors of Sun's Core J2EE
    patterns book mentions this:

    Jack: How do the presentation patterns relate to Struts?

    Dan Malks: Great question, Jack. Actually, Struts applies several
    of the J2EE patterns and strategies. Though the framework and the
    patterns were developed independently, there is tremendous synergy
    between the two. It makes sense too, given the following comment
    from Ralph Johnson, Doug Schmidt, and Mohamed Fayad in 'Building
    Application Frameworks', Wiley 1999. They say: "Patterns are the
    architectural elements of frameworks." I agree with this
    sentiment, and it is good to see this relationship between the
    Struts Framework and the J2EE Patterns catalog.

Posted by "V. Cekvenich" <vi...@users.sourceforge.net>.
" building a j2ee controller that follow's Sun's J2EE pattern
is not that difficult", so I guess Struts must have taken 1-2 programers
  a very short time to design, implement, debug, P&T, and document? :-)

There are 2 types of people, people that drive a car to work.
And people that get under the car a fix the car.

You can either write both the framework and the application, or just
start with a working framework and write the application.
One allows you to focus on the business problem issues.

The other one is more a hobbies approach of hey, lets' play with
technology and see if the company will pay for it.

I like to drive the car, no need to worry about the combustion engine.

Why do you care if he fails? It is sort of like being an MD and knocking
on someones door and saying I'd like to give you a shot. If an
organizations wants to be more effective, they will look ask on their
own (or fail in IT).

.V