Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/31 05:56:22 UTC

[WISH] JNDI Names log and other log files

It will be nice to have a .info file (as suggested by Dain in an
earlier email) for the JNDI names of all deployed EJB's . Right now if
I have a jar file which I deploy, then the deploy command displays the
JNDI name, but I will pretty much have to redeploy to just get the
JNDI name if I forget it. I know about the JNDI names strategy
mentioned by David
(http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENEJB/JNDI+Names) and
one can know the JNDI name of the bean depending on whether it is
local or remote.

Am also aware that this information is available in openejb.log, but I
still have to search the log file to be able to get to the
information.

Still, It would be really nice if i was just able to open a
JndiNames.info file and get the JNDI information about the EJB. When I
am writing a client, I simply open one file to get the information.

A file in the following format would be really cool:

ModuleId  , Ejb-Name  , JndiName , DeploymentId

It could also be a good idea to create a separate logs for  startup,
shutdown, deploy
This way I can just focus on troubleshooting any startup issues, or
deployment or shutdown issues. This might be something for the future,
but just wanted to throw this thought in this email.

--
Karan Singh Malhi

Re: [WISH] JNDI Names log and other log files

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.
>Assuming of course you didn't over-
> engineer yourself into no activity -- which I definitely do at times :)
I do it all the time, I work on something, get an idea and then this
"how about if i could also do this" syndrome kicks in, its like a
nuclear reaction where one thing leads to another and in the end it
becomes so big that the first small idea seems worthless and I lose
motivation. Thats why I now simply send the idea/wish/thought to the
dev list so that I know that people are watching and somebody would
pull me back to reality ;)

> In fact just copy the Info2Properties class and go from there, you
> could be done in less than 2 hours.
I will try that next week.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
I like the dot info file idea too, but I bet you could write a
command line tool in about 2 hours using the same approach I did for
the "properties" command.  Assuming of course you didn't over-
engineer yourself into no activity -- which I definitely do at times :)

In fact just copy the Info2Properties class and go from there, you
could be done in less than 2 hours.

I thought about writing a tool to spit out the AppInfo, but then I
started to think all complicated on ways I might make it so people
could query for just the apps their interested in, etc.  I should
have done just a full dump worried about more complicated stuff later.

-David

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.
> Still, we do not have separate categories for deploy or shutdown
I mean for "shutdown" , we have deploy. ;)

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.
> It could also be a good idea to create a separate logs for  startup,
> shutdown, deploy
So many times I don't even think before I send an email to dev. I
could easily add another appender to OpenEJB.startup logger to write
to a startup.log file.