Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Jeff Trawick <tr...@bellsouth.net> on 2001/02/28 20:16:20 UTC

Re: cvs commit: apr-util/build apu-conf.m4

gstein@apache.org writes:

> gstein      01/02/28 07:18:37
>
>   Modified:    .        buildconf.sh
>                build    apu-conf.m4
>   Log:
>   *) buildconf.sh should invoke expat's buildconf.sh, if it exists
>   *) expat.h.in is a more reliable test for an Expat distribution
>   *) look for xml/expat-cvs before xml/expat
>   *) invoke expat's configuration when APRUTIL is configured
>      Note: we needed to copy over APR_SUBDIR_CONFIG (and rename) since APRUTIL
>            is not (yet) including apr/build/apr_common.m4 (and it is a big
>            change to do that use/sharing)

I suspect that this commit introduced these error messages from
buildconf.  Something committed in the 5 hours preceding approx 10:48
est. caused these messages to be added.

------------------/home/trawick/regress/logs/buildconf.stderr.diff---------------
0a1,2
> configure.in:72: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
> configure.in:72: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
--------------end of /home/trawick/regress/logs/buildconf.stderr.diff-------------I

I have no theory as to the exact problem...  Maybe expat exhibits that
problem outside of apr-util?

             Born in Roswell... married an alien...

Re: cvs commit: apr-util/build apu-conf.m4

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 02:16:20PM -0500, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> gstein@apache.org writes:
> > gstein      01/02/28 07:18:37
> >
> >   Modified:    .        buildconf.sh
> >                build    apu-conf.m4
> >   Log:
> >   *) invoke expat's configuration when APRUTIL is configured
> I suspect that this commit introduced these error messages from
> buildconf.  Something committed in the 5 hours preceding approx 10:48
> est. caused these messages to be added.
>
> ------------------/home/trawick/regress/logs/buildconf.stderr.diff---------------
> 0a1,2
> > configure.in:72: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
> > configure.in:72: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
> --------------end of /home/trawick/regress/logs/buildconf.stderr.diff-------------I
>
> I have no theory as to the exact problem...  Maybe expat exhibits that
> problem outside of apr-util?

Yup. This is due to Expat's configuration process.

It is an acceptably-ignored warning, but it does indicate that we have some
better/more work to do in the Expat configuration process. Specifically, we
will filter the message out. We do this today in Apache.

The underlying problem is that the AC_C_BIGENDIAN macro is implemented in
such a way as to always generate this warning. We either reimplment the
macro and fix it, or we filter the warning. For Apache, I chose the latter.
You can see the filtering in build/build2.mk.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/