Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2003/12/26 07:06:24 UTC

Ontology-based portals - RDF, LDAP, Xindice (was: java@apache)

J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > This could be interesting, Henri.  If we had an formal description of a
> > project, providing its name, resource (www, scm, wiki, etc.) locations,
> > ontological classifications, etc., I imagine that could be useful in
> > producing a portal.

> Sounds awfully close to a Maven project.xml.

As you note, sounds "close" to a lot of different things.  There should not
any dependence on Maven, although Maven could populate the system for
projects that are using it.  However, the key thing above, and seemingly
missing from Maven's Project descriptor, is ontology, so I am curious to see
Henri's approach.

> > We would want some nice means for aggregating and dynamically managing
the
> > data, but fortunately we have a ready standard for dealing with the
content:
> > LDAP.

> The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.

> There are also RDF/RSS/DC and a variety of other XML based metadata
> languages (Topic Maps would fit almost as well as LDAP).

Yes.  However, although there are certainly plenty of XML formats from which
to draw, or even to support, few might be considered a standard, and there
are even fewer such standards when it comes to a data-access interface for
dealing with hierarchical, attributed data.  LDAP is one; an
XPath/XQuery-based XML DB server would be another route.

RDF (http://www.w3.org/RDF/) is a W3C specification for the ontology aspect
of the Semantic Web.  The RDF syntax (http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-rdf-syntax/)
has a decent mapping to LDAP.  This is not a new idea, you can see from:

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-interest/2000Jan/0048.html
  http://rdf-ldap.ucpel.tche.br/
  http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200009/msg00571.html
  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dsml/200009/msg00021.html

An alternative to LDAP could be Xindice (http://xml.apache.org/xindice/).
At least one of the Xindice developers is subscribed to this list.

	--- Noel

RE: help with installing tomcat on unix

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
 (a) check the logs for any messages
 (b) you might want to use tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org

One possibility could be something else blocking that port.

	--- Noel

help with installing tomcat on unix

Posted by "K. A." <kn...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

I'm trying to install tomcat on solaris. I followed the installation instructions including changing the server.xml and web.xml files. However, it still won't run. When I check the default webpage at the port number 8080 it says that page can not be displayed. Does anyone have any idea what else I'm missing?

Thanks.

RE: Ontology-based portals - RDF, LDAP, Xindice (was: java@apache)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Henri Yandell wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> The next level up is a community. Noel uses the word ontology here,
> but even though I started using this, I don't understand what it is,
> so have gone with something simpler. Easy to s+r out. I've defined a
> community xml file:

You described a portal made of communities, and each community having a
name, logo, members, url, description, projects.

I'm not clear on how you intend to model the (virtual) containment.  For
example, the items you list for a community could also be for a project.
Some of that can be implemented by determining that community's members are
a superset of the union of its projects' members.  So asking the model for a
list of a community's members would be that superset.  But other things are
singleton's, e.g., a portal, a community and a project may each have a
descrpiption, logo, etc., but asking the model for the item would depend
upon which container you were looking at.

As for an ontology (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=ontology), we
could start thinking about how we might want to classify things: language,
implemented JSRs, implemented interfaces (e.g., a service provider for JNDI
or JavaMail), implemented RFCs (SMTP, S/MIME), client and/or server
interface (where applicable), etc.  We could also associate items with user
friendly classifications, such as web server, mail server, database server,
CMS, document processor, spreadsheet, etc., build upon the more precise
classifications.

See also: http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Software/
          http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/
          http://www.daml.org/
          http://www.daml.org/ontologies/ontologies.html
          http://sol1.cps.unizar.es:5080/ANTARCTICA/SRS/

Making some sense?

	--- Noel

Re: Ontology-based portals - RDF, LDAP, Xindice (was: java@apache)

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> J.Pietschmann wrote:
> > Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > > This could be interesting, Henri.  If we had an formal description of a
> > > project, providing its name, resource (www, scm, wiki, etc.) locations,
> > > ontological classifications, etc., I imagine that could be useful in
> > > producing a portal.
>
> > Sounds awfully close to a Maven project.xml.
>
> As you note, sounds "close" to a lot of different things.  There should not
> any dependence on Maven, although Maven could populate the system for
> projects that are using it.  However, the key thing above, and seemingly
> missing from Maven's Project descriptor, is ontology, so I am curious
to see
> Henri's approach.

Okay, spent the holiday period playing with it a bit. I've not used XSL in
3 years, and my CSS is pretyt juvenile, so treat with the level of
contempt it deserves:

I've re-used the Maven project.xml's for Jakarta Commons, as it's a good
database of information on a large group of Jakarta codebases. So at the
bottom of the tree you have 'codebases', or more colloquially 'projects'.

The next level up is a community. Noel uses the word ontology here, but
even though I started using this, I don't understand what it is, so have
gone with something simpler. Easy to s+r out. I've defined a community xml
file:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<community>
  <name>struts-commons</name>
  <logo>images/struts.gif</logo>
  <members>member-roles.xml</members>
  <url>http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/</url>
  <description>Components which came from Struts</description>
  <projects>
    <project>projects/beanutils.xml</project>
    <project>projects/convert.xml</project>
    <project>projects/digester.xml</project>
    <project>projects/fileupload.xml</project>
  </projects>
</community>

Then above this, we have a portal made up of communities:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<portal>
 <name>jakarta</name>
 <logo>images/jakarta-logo.gif</logo>
 <communities>
  <community>commons.xml</community>
  <community>commons-proper.xml</community>
  <community>commons-sandbox.xml</community>
  <community>commons-core.xml</community>
  <community>struts.xml</community>
 </communities>
</portal>

All the work is in the Style.java class which takes a portal.xml and
applies an xsl [community.xsl] to each community in it. The filename
portal.xml is hardcoded in community.xsl though, I need to solve that.

http://www.apache.org/~bayard/pergamum/

is where I've pushed the bits up.

http://www.apache.org/~bayard/pergamum/j-c/html-j-c-new/community_jakarta-commons.html

is the 'tigris' l&f, and:

http://www.apache.org/~bayard/pergamum/j-c/html-j-c-old/community_jakarta-commons.html

is the 'old' l&f via a different css and image.

Oh, and:

http://www.apache.org/~bayard/pergamum/osjava/html-osjava/community_genjava.html

is a non-apache portal. Just to keep it honest and non-apache-only.

Anyway. Views, ideas, put-downs appreciated.

Hen

Re: Ontology-based portals - RDF, LDAP, Xindice (was: java@apache)

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.

El viernes, 26 dici, 2003, a las 07:06 Europe/Madrid, Noel J. Bergman
escribió:

> J.Pietschmann wrote:
>> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>> This could be interesting, Henri.  If we had an formal description
>>> of a
>>> project, providing its name, resource (www, scm, wiki, etc.)
>>> locations,
>>> ontological classifications, etc., I imagine that could be useful in
>>> producing a portal.
>
>> Sounds awfully close to a Maven project.xml.
>
> As you note, sounds "close" to a lot of different things.  There
> should not
> any dependence on Maven, although Maven could populate the system for
> projects that are using it.  However, the key thing above, and
> seemingly
> missing from Maven's Project descriptor, is ontology, so I am curious
> to see
> Henri's approach.

Ontology is a useful, but damned dangerous word :-)

The name of Sam Ruby's blog, as well as a lot of its content, says it
all about the "meta-data vs data" discussions. I was involved in couple
of Esprit project about knowledge acquisition and domain ontologies
some time ago, and my personal conclusions on the efforts, much like
Sam's is that "It's just data" ( http://intertwingly.net/ )

I liked a lot Stefano's comment on semanticsheets (
http://www.betaversion.org/~stefano/linotype/news/26/ ), in which he
used the Library of Babel story that the web always evokes on me.

Two weeks later, Jon Udell quotes him (
http://weblog.infoworld.com/udell/2003/08/08.html#a773 a RSS/RDF
epiphany ):

"The mental model that XML promotes is basically a tree of couples.
The mental model that RDF promotes is basically a collection of triples.
Sounds familiar doesn't it? The Hierarchical vs. Relational war over
again 30 years later?"

Danny Ayers says here ( http://dannyayers.com/archives/001693.html ) in
response to the previous entry: "structural things* * searching for a
word that's not overloaded - something that would mean elements in the
non-XML sense or entities and relationships"

I think a RDF vs LDAP vs XIndice discusion would be again a part of the
same old war.

Regards
      Santiago