Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Ingo Maas <in...@ebp.de> on 2009/02/06 17:01:39 UTC

[Postscript] German umlauts are not shown for Postscript output of Trunk

Hi,

Recently, I upgraded to current Trunk. I noticed that German umlauts are not
shown for Postscript output anymore. Using release 0.95, German umlauts look
fine.
I have made a diff of both output documents, and there are some subtle
differences, see attached files. Both documents do contain the octal
entities for the umlauts.
I'm using font metrics definitions for Type 1 fonts for Postscript renderer
in configuration file 'fop.xconf'.

Can someone have a look at it to confirm that something is broken in
Postscript renderer output in Trunk, please?

Regards, Ingo

--
Ernst Basler + Partner GmbH
Ingo Maas

+49 331 74 75 9 0  (Zentrale)
+49 331 74 75 9 78 (Direkt)
+49 331 74 75 9 90 (Fax)

Gesch�ftsf�hrer: Dr. Ludger Paus
Amtsgericht Potsdam - HRB 6362 P
USt-Id Nr. 152768391

 <ma...@ebp.de> mailto:Ingo.Maas@ebp.de
 <http://www.ebp.de/> http://www.ebp.de

Re: [Postscript] German umlauts are not shown for Postscript output of Trunk

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Looks like a bug. The font reencoding to WinAnsiEncoding does not seem
to happen if the font is not embedded. I'll look into it on Monday.
Thanks for reporting this.

On 06.02.2009 17:01:39 Ingo Maas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently, I upgraded to current Trunk. I noticed that German umlauts are not
> shown for Postscript output anymore. Using release 0.95, German umlauts look
> fine.
> I have made a diff of both output documents, and there are some subtle
> differences, see attached files. Both documents do contain the octal
> entities for the umlauts.
> I'm using font metrics definitions for Type 1 fonts for Postscript renderer
> in configuration file 'fop.xconf'.
>
> Can someone have a look at it to confirm that something is broken in
> Postscript renderer output in Trunk, please?
>
> Regards, Ingo

Jeremias Maerki

Re: AW: AW: [Postscript] German umlauts are not shown for Postscript output of Trunk

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Thanks. So, I fixed the wrong thing this morning (although it wasn't a
bad idea to change what I changed). Based on your information I believe
I've now fixed the right thing:

Anyway, I would like to recommend to you to stop using XML font metrics
file and instead rely on the AFM accompanying a PFB file. To make FOP
reference the font instead of to embed it, you can use this:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/fonts.html#embedding
(only available in FOP Trunk)

It's recommended because this gets you access to all the glyphs in a
Type 1 font and not just the ones in "WinAnsiEncoding". And also a bit
because PFMs are often unreliable.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Not want Space between inlines

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
I'm not sure I'm hitting the right spot here, but you could try to use
linefeed-treatment="ignore" (default is "treat-as-space"). Your
stylesheet may be responsible for adding whitespace or more probably
line feeds which would explain the unwanted spaces. Without seeing your
FO file it's difficult to guess.

See also:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#linefeed-treatment

Posted by Michonska Sylvie <sm...@sopragroup.com>.
Hello,

This problem (space between inline) come  CRLF (linebreak) between the
inline tags in the file .fo
If i suppress the linebreak, i don't have the space between the text.

If i transform by fop (0.94) directly the xml file in pdf file,
i don't have this problem.
I have this problem only, during the debug test, if i transform the xml
file
in fo file, and then the fo file in pdf file.

Sorry for my first message,
if i transform in FOP 0.20.5 the xml file in fo file, then, fo file in
pdf file,
i have  the same problem.

My main need is to transform a xml file to pdf file.
If the xml file don't content CRLF (linebreak) between tags,
the pdf file is good.

For the moment, it's OK.
Thank you.

Sylvie.

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.

Posted by Ingo Maas <in...@ebp.de>.

Re: AW: [Postscript] German umlauts are not shown for Postscript output of Trunk

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
I've never seen Arial as a Type 1 font, yet, so I assume you're trying
to use a TrueType font with PostScript output. That is currently not
supported (not even 0.95). Your earlier PostScript files used
"Times-Roman" (Base 14) and "NimbusSanL-Regu". Maybe you did something
strange in your font configuration. Have you, by chance, configured
"Arial" to be mapped to "NimbusSanL-Regu"? That would explain it. If yes,
is the AFM file in the same directory where you placed the PFB file for
the font? Or just the PFM?

On 09.02.2009 14:36:11 Ingo Maas wrote:
> Hi Jeremias,
>
> I enabled the suggested PS renderer option and checked both FOP trunk
> versions with and without your latest changes. The umlaut problem is fixed
> only halfway. My document uses two fonts, 'Times New Roman' (resolved as
> 'any' font) and 'Arial' (refered to using metrics declarations in
> fop.xconf). For 'Times New Roman' turning on the optimization option has
> fixed the problem in both versions. For 'Arial' the problem still remains in
> Trunk.
> I'll recover back to FOP 0.95 for now.
>
> Regards, Ingo

Jeremias Maerki

AW: [Postscript] German umlauts are not shown for Postscript output of Trunk

Posted by Ingo Maas <in...@ebp.de>.
Hi Jeremias,

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Fixed in FOP Trunk: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?rev=742346&view=rev
Should now also work without resource optimization, though turning on
resource optimization is recommended if you want smaller PostScript
files containing only what you really need.

On 09.02.2009 09:44:02 Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> I think I know now what the problem is. You're using PS output with no
> "resource optimization" [1] (the default). In that mode, the fonts are
> set up before we know what characters are used. I seem to have forgotten
> to test the PS output in that mode after my changes to make all
> available glyphs in a Type 1 font usable in PostScript. The short-term
> work-around is to enable "resource optimization":
> <optimize-resources>true</optimize-resources> in the configuration.
>
> I'll see to it that this gets fixed.
>
> [1] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/output.html#ps-configuration
>
> On 06.02.2009 17:01:39 Ingo Maas wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Recently, I upgraded to current Trunk. I noticed that German umlauts are not
> > shown for Postscript output anymore. Using release 0.95, German umlauts look
> > fine.
> > I have made a diff of both output documents, and there are some subtle
> > differences, see attached files. Both documents do contain the octal
> > entities for the umlauts.
> > I'm using font metrics definitions for Type 1 fonts for Postscript renderer
> > in configuration file 'fop.xconf'.
> >
> > Can someone have a look at it to confirm that something is broken in
> > Postscript renderer output in Trunk, please?
> >
> > Regards, Ingo

Jeremias Maerki

Re: [Postscript] German umlauts are not shown for Postscript output of Trunk

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
I think I know now what the problem is. You're using PS output with no
"resource optimization" [1] (the default). In that mode, the fonts are
set up before we know what characters are used. I seem to have forgotten
to test the PS output in that mode after my changes to make all
available glyphs in a Type 1 font usable in PostScript. The short-term
work-around is to enable "resource optimization":
<optimize-resources>true</optimize-resources> in the configuration.

I'll see to it that this gets fixed.

[1] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/output.html#ps-configuration

On 06.02.2009 17:01:39 Ingo Maas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently, I upgraded to current Trunk. I noticed that German umlauts are not
> shown for Postscript output anymore. Using release 0.95, German umlauts look
> fine.
> I have made a diff of both output documents, and there are some subtle
> differences, see attached files. Both documents do contain the octal
> entities for the umlauts.
> I'm using font metrics definitions for Type 1 fonts for Postscript renderer
> in configuration file 'fop.xconf'.
>
> Can someone have a look at it to confirm that something is broken in
> Postscript renderer output in Trunk, please?
>
> Regards, Ingo

Jeremias Maerki