Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de> on 2009/04/22 17:03:11 UTC

Spam slipping through (was: Issues with sa-update - seems to be running but not really updating)

On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 08:25 -0600, Dan Roberts wrote:
> I am running Spamassassin Version 3.2.4 with Perl Version 5.8.8 on a
> CentOS Linux 5.2 system.
>
> As FAQ postings and other notes appeared to suggest running sa-update
> daily, I set up a cron job to do that.   Though it has updated in the
> past, it seems most of the time to find nothing to update, yet the
> volume of spam getting through is definitely increasing.

Not for me... ;)

Seriously, this hardly can be "fixed" with an sa-update run, but
indicates there is much room for improvement of your local install, or
probably even a mis-configuration.

As always, we can't give any advice how to improve spam detection,
unless you provide samples. Well, other than re-iterating [1] over and
over again what's been posted here. It's in the archives. Yes, lurking
on and reading lists often yields hints before one even has the problem.

Please either use your own web-space or a pastebin to upload full, raw
samples including all headers. Provide a link, don't post spam samples
on-list.

  guenther

[1] Some of them:  Enable network tests, train Bayes. Use third-party
    rules and plugins, like iXhash, SOUGHT and 90_2tld for URIBL
    results. The latter shows quite some impact recently.