Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by tony <dh...@yahoo.com> on 2002/01/24 17:39:37 UTC

need help about adding fonts

hi,
I followed the  procedure to add fonts through the userconfig.xml.
But i am facing a problem, the pdf output file's size increases a lot.
I have a .fo file which outputs a pdf file of 6kb.
If i add support for 'Times New Roman' the file size increases to 35kb.

Can u tell me the reason ?
Thanks,
Tony

Re: need help about adding fonts

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <je...@outline.ch>.
Tony

You've probably added an "embed-file" attribute in the user config file.
This embeds the font in the PDF. Just remove it and your PDF should
shrink again. Not embedding a font means that the viewer of the PDF will
have to have the particular font installed on his system.

But why do you go through the relatively painful process of registering
"Time New Roman" in FOP when you could use "Times" that is part of the
basic set of fonts in the PDF spec? Just a thought...

> I followed the  procedure to add fonts through the userconfig.xml.
> But i am facing a problem, the pdf output file's size increases a lot.
> I have a .fo file which outputs a pdf file of 6kb.
> If i add support for 'Times New Roman' the file size increases to 35kb.
>
> Can u tell me the reason ?

Cheers,
Jeremias Märki

mailto:jeremias.maerki@outline.ch

OUTLINE AG
Fon +41 (41) 317 2020 - Fax +41 (41) 317 2029
Internet http://www.outline.ch